Need advice - I'm so confused by all the information

Thread: Need advice - I'm so confused by all the information

DefaultNeed advice - I'm so confused by all the information

We are moving to small town Alberta next year and won't be close to a Costco so I'm going to have to change the boy's food. Right now I'm feeding Kirkland and they do well on it (or they seem to at least).

I've contacted the local vet clinic in the town we are moving to and they sell the following:
    Medi-cal
    Hill's Prescription Diet
    Eukanuba
    Royal Canin
    Eagle Pac

Any opinions/experiences you'd like to share would be appreciated. Neither of my boys seem to have any allergies but I do find Jake a bit itchier in the Spring (don't think it's food related though). Also, if you've noticed any difference in the amount of shedding on different brands I'd be interested to hear about it. My two shed like crazy - I know they all do but if someone has noticed reduced shedding with a particular brand please let me know.....my arms are gone from brushing and sweeping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Need advice - I'm so confused by all the information

We feed Fergus Eagle Pack-Holistic Chicken.* He's doing really well on it...no complaints!* They have many different varieties and from what I hear it's a good quality food (It was recommended to me by another member when I wanted to make the switch from Nutro).* It is a big price difference if your used to feeding Kirkland...we pay $55 CND+taxes for the biggest bag (33lbs. I think).* They have a great website if you want to get more info!

www.eaglepack.com

I don't have any experience with the other brands you listed, so I'm not much help!

On another note....where abouts are you guys moving if you don't mind me asking?? I spent a large part of my childhood living in Edmonton so I'm pretty familiar with Alberta!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Check with Diamond to see if they have a supplier near you.

Diamond Naturals has a formula very close to Kirkland's and is not much more expensive.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

See if they have any feed and seed stores around town; you should be able to get the Diamond there. Otherwise, from that list; I'd go with the Eagle Pack.

We're moving to Whitecourt, Alberta. It's a smaller town than I'm used to but it's within driving distance to Edmonton so I will get to Costco now and then

Thanks for the advice I think I'll check out Eagle this weekend.

i'm thinking there is farming around there, so there will be at least one ''feed'' store of some kind, and certainly a general-purpose hardware store. i prefer these types of places vs. vet's, as the $$$ are usually waaaay less!
    they will most likely already stock several kinds of dog food, and may even agree to get whatever you want [although not a proprietary brand like Costco's] if you can tell them how much you will need.

Hi,

Not sure if Alberta has "Pet Valu" there, I think they may be more in Manitoba and Ontario but you could check them out. I have Cooper on Performatrin Ultra Lamb & Brown Rice after he had an allergic reaction to the Kirkland stuff. It's a great food - unfortunately it's about double the price of the Kirkland food however if you do a bulk order (6 bags or more), they will knock about $11.00 off each bag. We just did that, as storing it in the garage in the winter is okay - much cooler out there!

Ah, small town Alberta! I am from Alberta - Cold Lake, to be exact (I'm an Air Force brat!). I love Alberta but do not see myself moving back there anytime soon - I don't think I could afford it re: housing! I hope your move goes well and that you enjoy your new surroundings.

Bev.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

we have been very happy with eagle pack holistics.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would imagine a feed store would carry Diamond, and Diamond manufacturers the Kirkland food, so you won't be straying too far. OR, you can just stock up on dog food when you do go to Costco. The bags normally have a bit of a shelf life. You might be able to buy 2 bags when you visit and have it last.