eukanuba new formulas - why?

Thread: eukanuba new formulas - why?

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaulteukanuba new formulas - why?

I see that eukanuba has come out with a small breed, med breed and large breed formula now. WHy??

What do they do different to each of this formulas to sell them as different diets? What really is the difference between a maintenance diet and a large breed diet other than added glucosamine??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

phaereet is offline Member

DefaultRe: eukanuba new formulas - why?

Marketing ! There are may be at least a billion more ways of serving foods. Though not seriously significant, producers can make minor changes in concentrations of the main content -protein through %22-30 range, fat %10-18 range- and may claim that different dogs need different concentrations. I am not in the same opinion. Yes, it may help but it is not the main issue in well being.

Approved formulations are all same in nutrient on the dog's side. They are different only for our minds -confused by many challenging hypothesis over dog foods. Like different toothpastes offering the best, for kids, adults, smokers, sensitive teeth, gingiva problems.. !

I may be wrong many of you may argue but I have this opinion.

Ferit, Istanbul

Though not seriously significant, producers can make minor changes in concentrations of the main content -protein through %22-30 range, fat %10-18 range- and may claim that different dogs need different concentrations. I am not in the same opinion. Yes, it may help but it is not the main issue in well being.
    There is a huge difference between the upper and lower ends of these ranges. The lower is suitable for a companion dog and the upper is suitable for a working dog. If you feed the upper end to a sedentary dog he will gain too much weight and vice versa. I can see if you tighten the range to 22-25% protein and 12-15% fat and call it marketing. Believe it or not, I have working dogs and I do bump them up or down depending on the season and how much work they get because I feed for just a hint of rib. If they can't stay trim on an adult food though, they just get less and more exercise. It has also been researched that working dogs require higher fat content to protect against injury.

What really is the difference between a maintenance diet and a large breed diet other than added glucosamine??
    Glucosamine and basically carnitine for muscle recovery. The LB adult is a little lower in protein and fat than the maintenance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lab13
    I see that eukanuba has come out with a small breed, med breed and large breed formula now. WHy??

What do they do different to each of this formulas to sell them as different diets? What really is the difference between a maintenance diet and a large breed diet other than added glucosamine??
    Marketing does play a large roll. In addition, the amounts of glucosamine added is so trivial as to be effectively useless. But, it gets added to the ingredient lable, and people do pick foods based on certain ingredients...useful or not.

There definitely are differences between performance foods and maintenance foods, but a lot of times you really have to search hard to find a difference between a medium-breed food and large-breed adult food. For the most part, there is no meaningful difference between your average maintenance diet and large breed adult food.