Hookworms and Roundworms..

Thread: Hookworms and Roundworms..

DefaultHookworms and Roundworms..

Louie had worms (very badly) when we got him. His poop tested positive for hookworms and roundworms. well, I STILL see worms (I think the roundworms-small, rice looking things..??) in his poop after two heatworm pills and 2 dewormings. Is this something to be worried about? Would this be the reason he had the runs so bad when I got him, but I was able to finally find a food to firm it up some (Nutro Chicken meal/rice/oatmeal formula)?

After the first worming, I saw NO decrease, after this second one (Oct 3rd) I have seen a decrease, but I still see them everytime he poops, sometimes like 5+ on a terd. HOW do we get rid of these worms??? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hookworms and Roundworms..

Sounds like you're seeing tapeworms. Those take a different dewormer. Ask your vet what he/she suggests.

tapeworms... :-\

Are they short like a long grain of rice (does that make sense, LOL?), kind of flat looking and it almost seems like the tip is just a wee bit wider, I'm assuming this is the head moving. I shall ask..thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree, sounds like tapeworms. They are often described as grains of rice and they do need a separate medication. Keep us posted.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

The small rice looking things you're seeing are probably tapeworm segments. Normal deworming (with panacur or with strongid) won't get tapeworms. I suggest talking to your vet. He/she may want check a stool sample, but most of the time you won't see tapeworms on the fecal.