Thinking of changing food

Thread: Thinking of changing food

DefaultThinking of changing food

I'm thinking of changing Tucker's food he is on Nutro Large Breed Lamb & Rice now but he keeps having Loose Stools most of the time and is going 5-6 times a day and his ears are gunky and his coat is getting dull again like when i first got him he did improve so what on Nutro concerning his coat but not the other areas. Would like to know what you think I know he has allergies to Wheat so have been keeping him away from that but i'm sure he has other food allergies trying to figure them out. So what to you think of this food any input would be appreciated Thanks
    Ingredients: Nature's Valley Chicken & Rice

Chicken meal, ground rice, pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb digest, tomato pomace, salt, potassium chloride, yeast culture, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, copjavascript:void(0);per proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 25.0%
    Crude Fat 14.0%
    Crude Fiber 4.50%
    Moisture 10.0%
    Tryptophan 0.185%
    Iron 200 mg/kg
    Copper 10 mg/kg
    Zinc 150 mg/kg
    Selenium 0.3 mg/kg
    Vitamin E 100 IU/kg
    Beta-Carotene* 4 mg/kg

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking of changing food

Yikes...pooping 5-6 times a day?

The food looks ok but if you suspect he has other food allergies I would try him on a more basic Chicken & Rice formula, a food like this perhaps:

California Natural Chicken Meal & Rice

Ingredients
    Chicken Meal
    Ground Brown Rice
    Ground White Rice
    Sunflower Oil
    Natural Flavors
    Taurine
    Flaxseed
    Vitamins/Minerals

The only real way you can test for a food allergy is by an elimination diet.

NATURAL CHOICE®
    LARGE BREED PUPPY
    LAMB MEAL & RICE FORMULA

Ingredients
    Lamb Meal, Rice Flour, Rice Gluten, Rice Bran, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Garlic, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), L-Carnitine, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

The first ingredient is Lamb Meal which is good but the rest of the food leaves a lot to be desired. Not the sort of food I would continue to use if I had a dog with digestion/allergy issues.

Protein:Fat ratios need to be about 3:2, according to some sources i've read. The coat problem may be due to not enough good fat. There is something else not agreeing with him with numerous loose stools. Duke does real well on Diamond Naturals Large Breed puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

How much of this food are you feeding him?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I know that different foods work for different dogs but I can't say enough great things about California Natural. Sami had major GI issues as a result of allergies. She even ended up w/ an overgrowth of clostridium (2x), which my vet felt was due to food allergies. In the end, the vet recommended one of the Hypoallergenic diets. I really didn't want to go that route and California Natural was my last try at a "normal" food for her. WOW, what a difference. Even my vet couldn't believe it. The food is very simple and has a short ingredient list. They have a Lamb Meal & Rice and a Chicken & Rice formula. They also have a Herring formula, but I wouldn't recommend that one as it has several other ingredients not in the other two I mentioned, meaning it's not as simple of a food.
    In your case, I'd recommend the chicken as you've already been on lamb food.

Good luck.

Thanks for all your suggestions I feed Tucker 1 Cup in the AM and 2cups at night The california Natural food looks like it would be good but i can't seem to find a store near me to get it and i'm not keen on ordering on online and having it shipped. How Much does that food cost?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

What state are you located in?* Did you look on the website for a store near you? I believe the website is www.naturapet.com.* It is not found in the usual pet stores, but if*you have an upscale store, or a feed store, they might have it.* *I have mine shipped and it's cheaper than buying it at the store down the street (I use a 20% off code and pay no sales tax, but do pay shipping.* Shipping is reasonable because I'm in the NE -- I order from www.petfooddirect.com ).*