Ingredient Comparison

Thread: Ingredient Comparison

DefaultIngredient Comparison

Just going through a list of foods to feed Marley once she's outgrown her diamond naturals large breed puppy formula. Gonna paste a couple of ingredient lists and guarunteed analysis' and was hoping for opinions. Thanks! Also incase any one is wondering she's starting to show positive improvement after her shots/spaying and she's actually eating now, Yay!

1.* * * * Ingredients

Potatoes, duck, duck meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), potato fiber, dl-methionine, l-lysine, sodium chloride, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, rosemary extract, natural flavor, yucca schidigera extract, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.
    Garunteed Analysis

Crude protein (min.) 21%, crude fat (min.) 10%, crude fiber (max.) 3%, moisture (max.) 10%, ash (max.) 7.5%, calcium (min.) 1%, phosphorus ( min.) 0.9%, omega 3 fatty acids* (min.) 0.5%, omega 6 fatty acids* (min.) 3%

2.* * * * Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

* * * * * Garunteed Analysis
    Crude Protein 26.0% Minimum
    Crude Fat 16.0% Minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
    Moisture 10.0% Maximum
    Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.5% Minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

3.* * * *Ingredients

Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

* * * * * Garunteed Analysis
    e Protein 23.0% Minimum
    Crude Fat 14.0% Minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
    Moisture 10.0% Maximum
    Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ingredient Comparison

I'm glad to hear Marley is eating. Great news.

Is the first food Natural Balance Duck and Potato? and the second Kirkland? I'm not sure about the third.

They all seem like decent foods. I would favor #1 but again, they are all good choices. It is just up to you to pick one.*

The first one is the Dick Van Pattens Natural balance, the second two are both diamond naturals formulas. Marley is currently on the Lamb and rice puppy formula of diamond naturals, so would it be a smoother transition if i just kept it under the same brand and meat type? Also why is chicken/lamb/beef prefered over one another?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How old is Marley roughly? most people switch to an adult formula at 6 months. If you want to keep the brand and the meat protein source the same then that is totally up to you. Its probably too soon to tell if the Diamond is working for her but if she has no issues with it I guess there is no reason to change. It would be easier on her digestion then it would be to switch to a different food completely.

Why are chicken/lamb/beef preferred over one another? it depends on the dog. Some dogs don't tolerate certain meat protein sources very well. One that comes to mind is pork. On the opposite end of the spectrum some dogs have no issues with food no matter what the meat source is.

It is a good idea to stick to just several meat protein sources (for example Lamb, Chicken and Turkey) and save a few (for example Duck, Venison and Elk) that your dog as not been exposed to should food allergies develop down the line.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I'm glad to hear Marley is eating. Great news.

Is the first food Natural Balance Duck and Potato? and the second Kirkland? I'm not sure about the third.

They all seem like decent foods. I would favor #1 but again, they are all good choices. It is just up to you to pick one.*
    Come on Trickster ... you like #1 best? The first ingredient is potatoes. Why did ya choose that one?

I'd chose in this order: #2, then #3, and only #1 if you have to. That's just my .02 worth.

I would not start a pup on duck unless you know for sure he has an allergy problem and can't tolerate the ingredients in other foods. Same with the lamb, I'd start with chicken and if they don't do well on that; move to the lamb.

Come on Trickster ... you like #1 best?* The first ingredient is potatoes.* Why did ya choose that one?
    I don't know. They all seem like good foods. I just picked one!*

#1 would be good for allergy suffers because it is grain free. I am also a fan of "minimal" foods with fewer ingredients. Just a personal preference. My dogs are on a similar type of food (but Lamb & Rice) and they do really well on it. It has been a real roller coaster trying to find a food that works for my Murph in particular...FINALLY we have found a food that agrees with him and he looks fantastic for it. My other dogs don't have food issues and seem to do well on everything so I switched them too.

#2 #3 look fine but they are both quite grain heavy. They are good quality grains but they make up a big proportion of the food. Again, just purely from personal experience, I find my dogs do better on a food a little lower in grain content.

I think the orginal poster should have no problems with any of the foods.

I have Duke, 11 wks, *on the same food. *I had a dilema in that we also have a 11 y/o dog and they eat each others food. *I contacted Diamond about the calcium contents of their adult foods and here is the e-mail I recieved...

The calcium content for the dry formula on an as-fed basis is 2.5% for
    the Beef Meal & Rice; 1.8% for the Lamb Meal & Rice; and 1.4% for the Adult Dog
    Chicken & Rice formula.

The phosphorus content for the dry formula on an as-fed basis is 1.4%
    for the Beef Meal & Rice; 1.1% for the Lamb Meal & Rice; and 1.2% for the
    Adult Dog Chicken & Rice formula.

I will contact our website designer to see if the calcium and
    phosphorus information can be posted for the above mentioned formulas.

The I told here that my concern was that the Calcium was a little high for large breed puppies. *I asked her about feeding The adult dog the puppy food. *She checked withthe vet on staff and said that would be okay. *Primary concern for large breed puppy food is not to get too much calcium, proper calcium/phosphorus ratio, and not to get too much protein. *They said the puppy food is balanced for all stages of life in a dog.

The large breed puppy protein levels is about the same in all their foods. *Unless there becomes a problem, I will probably keep Duke on the LB puppy formula just to keep fom having to make a switch.

#2, #3, #1 (in that order). I like #2 because it has the most protein and Jes seems to do better with higher amounts of protein. It also is chicken based, which is more digestable than lamb and has a more complete amino acid profile. #3 next because it still has meat as the 1st ingredient and finally #1 last because it has potato as its 1st ingredient and has the least amount of protein.