Nutro or Kirkland?

Thread: Nutro or Kirkland?

DefaultNutro or Kirkland?

Hi guys, just looking for a "simple" opinion one way or the other between Kirkland Chicken and Rice or Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. My boys are doing well on the Nutro but I don't like the soybean oil in it but I am nervous about Diamonds reputation with the recall and all. Am thinking of switching since the Kirkland is $20.34cdn versus $48.99cdn for the Nutro. We stuck with the Nutro since this is was the food they came home on. Now that they will be a year old at the end of the month we are looking for more "frugal" options. They are both approaching 100lbs. and are very active. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nutro or Kirkland?

I don't have the ingredients to copy and paste here but I have looked at them and in my opinion the Kirkland looks much better. Nutro is one of those ok middle of the road foods but it you can feed better, do it. There is nothing wrong with Nutro...I had two of mine on it that also did very well...but looking at the price difference you posted I would be further inclined to go with the Kirkland. With two 100lb dogs I think it would be kinder on the wallet.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Why switch if they are doing fine on it? Honestly why would you put your dogs through the rollercoaster if you really don't have to.

Diamond/Kirkland is fine. They did a great job at fixing and owning up to the problem. I still feed Diamond to my fosters.

Again, I wouldn't switch if there were no problem.s
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

While I would prefer no soy in the kibble, my dogs do so well on Nutro that I keep them on it.

If it's purely a financial issue, Diamond/Kirkland is a great food. Mine used to eat the L&R version, but their stools are MUCH better on Nutro.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I fed Nutro NC LBP to Puff for her first year (she's 5 now) but switched to Kirkland L&R before she was two.* Recently, the Kirkland L&R formula changed and it now has a lot of rice in it so I switched to their C&R.* Puff does well on it and it is much cheaper and with better ingredients than most alternatives.* Especially with two 100 lbs. Labs, I'd go with the Kirkland or Diamond Naturals.

FWIW, the problem the maker of Diamond had was with corn and neither the Kirkland nor (I think) Diamond Naturals has corn as an ingredient.* I'm quite sure they're now super meticulous in their testing.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I researched them both and came to the conclusion that I liked the ingredients in Kirkland better than the Nutro. I also have to say that I have emailed Diamond with questions off and on since last December and they have always gotten right back to me. In fact, I didn't respond to one of their emails and their Product Mangager emailed me again to follow up. I am very impressed with the hard work they are putting into everything these days. My guys all do well on the Chicken and Rice; the yellows did not do well with the lamb. As BobPr also states, I liked the C&R because it contains less "rice" than the lamb.

I feed diamond Naturals large breed puppy and Duke likes it and does well on it. I too email diamond with a quick response in return. I even phoned them and they were very helpful.

I feed my lab and my cocker spaniel Kirkland L & R.....they both are doing very well on it.

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't feed Nutro if it were given to me free.

Laura

Thanks for all the responses. I have had good contact with prompt replies from both companies. I do think that the ingredients look better in the Kirkland over the Nutro. With mostly positive responses leaning towards the Kirkland, I think we will give it a try. So far I prefer the C&R formula over the others. My boys George(94lbs) and Ralph(88lbs) will be 1 year old on the 29th of this month. Both have the famous lab cast iron stomach (knock on wood) so I am not concerned about switching over gradually.