Eagle Pack

Thread: Eagle Pack

1000wpm is offline Junior Member

DefaultEagle Pack

Hi folks. I have 2 wonderful yellow labs, Sadie ( almost 3-year-old) and Ruby (almost 1-year-old). We have been on the food rollercoaster with Sadie due to allergies, initially had her on lamb-based food but ended up with chicken-based/no corn, soy, or wheat food. I wanted to, hopefully, have them both on the same food and recently switched them to Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken. From an allergy/skin/coat standpoint, they both have done well on it, but Sadie's stools are larger and formed but a bit softer and Ruby's are formed but soft and downright huge and voluminous! The vendor suggested I add just a bit of Innova Evo to each of the meals to see if that would firm it up, but I have seen no difference. This is an issue at all just from the standpoint of clean-up/picking up on our walks. I know dogs, like people, are individual but has anyone found a chicken-based food to produce a firmer stool in their dogs?

As always, I appreciate the knowledge and help always found here.

Holly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eagle Pack

I would contact Eagle and ask them. I wouldn't add Evo, but that's just me.

Laura

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

How much are you feeding?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

yes, how much are you feeding? Evo is very rich and in my opinion works for dogs that have a pretty active metabolism and lifestyle. It's loaded with kcals and can pack on the weight pretty fast.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I'm in a similiar situation. I wanted Essy and Murray on the same food. Essy's breeder had her on Eagle Pack so I put them both on it because I wanted them both on the same food. Essy did great on it. Murray ended up with severe intestinal distress (bloody diarrhea and more trapped gas than my vet has ever seen on an xray on a dog that was not bloated). I switched them both to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Murray does beautifully on this food. Essy has loose (not diarrhea but not firm) stools and anal gland issues (due to the soft stools). : I need to get Essy back on the EP but I'm so afraid of what will happen if Murray accidentally gets into it. Decisions, decisions.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I'm in a similiar situation. I wanted Essy and Murray on the same food. Essy's breeder had her on Eagle Pack so I put them both on it because I wanted them both on the same food. Essy did great on it. Murray ended up with severe intestinal distress (bloody diarrhea and more trapped gas than my vet has ever seen on an xray on a dog that was not bloated). I switched them both to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Murray does beautifully on this food. Essy has loose (not diarrhea but not firm) stools and anal gland issues (due to the soft stools). : I need to get Essy back on the EP but I'm so afraid of what will happen if Murray accidentally gets into it. Decisions, decisions.
    You could try adding a little cottage cheese to Essy's food and see if that helps with the soft stool issue.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

1000wpm is offline Junior Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I have been feeding the 3-YO a total of 3 cups a day and the 1-YO a total of 2 cups a day. When suggested to add in some EVO, I just substited about 1/4 cup of the EVO a day out of their total cups. I bought the smallest bag of EVO. I didn't think it would help the quality of stool but didn't think it would hurt to try either. I am feeding them both at the high end of the chart on the Eagle Pack bag for their respective sizes, so maybe I do need to go to the low end.

Sadie's weight stays pretty consistent between 66-67 lb at 22 inches tall. Ruby will be 1 YO on 11/28, but she is a very petite lab. Her parents were both normal size, large boned English/bench/show labs, but I think she is going to be lucky to hit 50 lb and 20 inches tall. She has a small bone structure as well. She had obstruction surgery at 12 weeks and we almost lost her. It took her about 3-4 weeks after the surgery before she was eating anywhere near normal. I am assuming this is the reason for her small size as her siblings are larger.

I think I will try backing down on the amount and calling Eagle as Labby suggested and go from there. I would like them to be on the same food for my convenience, but only if they both do well on it.

Thanks again!

labby is offline Senior Member

Tell John at Eagle that I said hi.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend feeding the 1 yo EVO...too much calcium and phosorus for growing pups.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

My lab had the soft voluminous stools also. Really made taking walks fun :-\.. anyway only thing that worked for us was the allergy formula of duck and sweet potato. ( or fish and potato)I get the natural balance. It was such a pleasure to finally have normal stools