Going to vet tomorrow. (update)

Thread: Going to vet tomorrow. (update)

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultGoing to vet tomorrow. (update)

I just made an Apt. for Mambo at vet tomorrow. I have noticed spots on him that kinda worry me. Just places here and there that fur is thin. Not an expert but I think some may be ringworm. But not sure about the others. We have treated him for the demordex mange and vet says it could come back. So maybe I just need to get some more meds.

Do labs fur thin out durning certain times of the year?I was just going to watch it and see if it clears up on its own. But Bf wants me to go before it could get worse.

If I am this cautious over Mambo I can only imagine if I had a kid.

Mambo doesnt seem to notice. It doesnt make him itch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Going to vet tomorrow.

Its good you are going somewhat soon. Most likely it is mites/demodex. The most common cause of hair loss. Younger dogs are especially prone to these little skin problems. Don't let them scratch or chew to "break" the skin. You could have pyoderma in no time. Good luck.

DefaultRe: Going to vet tomorrow.

Clarence has a spot near his mouth that is bare and red. The vet said it was mites, that puppies pick them up a lot of different places and until their immune systems are fully developed, they can get them. Nothing serious but definiately want to get it checked. She gave us some solution to put on it and she said the fur would grow back eventually.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

DefaultRe: Going to vet tomorrow. (update)

Went to vet today since work was slow. The mange is back. But the vet told me this could happen. So back to baths, and meds.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mybabymambo
    Went to vet today since work was slow. The mange is back. But the vet told me this could happen. So back to baths, and meds.
    Sorry to hear this. Has your vet suggested any type of supplements or diet to strengthen his immune system?

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Mambo...good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Mybabymambo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Sorry to hear this.* *Has your vet suggested any type of supplements or* diet to strengthen his immune system?
    No. They didnt. I asked and once again they said there really wasnt anything. I talked with my boyfriend and I am going to take Mambo to another vet. Even though a few spots look like mange again. A few others I question. There is a vet that a few people I know have gone to. I am going to check with them and see if they can help me alittle better.

It just seems like they were so quick to say mange again. Even though when they did the skin scrape (sp) the mites werent there. I do not know to much about it. But the first time I was able to see the mites under the scope.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I suggest you also consider making an appointment at the Uof F CollVetMed in Gainesville:

http://www.ufvmc.com/MakeAppt.aspx?id=home

Usually, you get MUCH better diagnostic and treatment services at a CVM/SVM. (Costs are usually good, too.)
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Sorry to hear this.* *Has your vet suggested any type of supplements or* diet to strengthen his immune system?
    No. They didnt. I asked and once again they said there really wasnt anything. I talked with my boyfriend and I am going to take Mambo to another vet. Even though a few spots look like mange again. A few others I question. There is a vet that a few people I know have gone to. I am going to check with them and see if they can help me alittle better.

It just seems like they were so quick to say mange again. Even though when they did the skin scrape (sp) the mites werent there. I do not know to much about it. But the first time I was able to see the mites under the scope.
    I think a second opinion is a good idea, too. If indeed it is mange, I'd do some research into some natural immune boosters -- Astragalus comes to mind. It's been used in China as an immunity booster for thousands of years and can be used in both humans and pets.