Tried to increase food????

Thread: Tried to increase food????

DefaultTried to increase food????

So last week I posted about Sadie looking to be on the thin side and after looking at a few charts and having a few of you agree, I decided to increase her food. I started feeding her 2 1/2 cups twice a day (increased 1 cup per day divided between her 2 feedings) and for the first couple days she ate it. Now the last few days she has been leaving about 1/2 cup in her bowl at one of her feedings, sometimes both. Do I continue to offer the extra food? I usually take her food away after she walks away from it, but the last few days I just left it to see what she would do. For the most part she didn't eat it until I added her 2nd feeding to it.

BTW in just the last week, I can see a difference in her. I don't see her ribs anymore, and she acutally has a little buldge on her sides (abover her hips) when she is standing on her hinds legs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tried to increase food????

Put the extra in a doggie bag and send it to Shadow.lol
    I would leave it continue for a few more days and see what happens.If it continues being left,I would cut back to 2 cups.

I remember reading your previous posts but didn't chime in, but here's my $.02. My previous lab, Jordan, lived to be 15 yrs old. He didn't look like your typical lab, thick and round through his mid section. He was built more like a thouroughbred race horse. His chest was thick and muscular as were his hips. you could see his muscle ripple when he worked and ran. But he had a thin waist and was a fairly thin dog. But he was a tremendous athlete. When we would go hunting, he could get in the back of my pick-up with out letting the tailgate down and he wouldn't touch the side rails either. Another interesting thing about him, if I were giong to be gone a couple of days, I could put a large amount of food in his pan and there would always be some left over when I would get home. I've seen labs that will only quit eating when the food is gone. Even though Sadie may be a little leaner and doesn't eat everything, as long as there is no other health problems, I would be happy. Leaner dogs, as with people, have fewer health problems than heavier dogs, i.e. hips. Sounds like she may be what I have heard to refered to as a self-regulator as far as eating. She may not be one of those rolly-polly labs, but I wouldn't worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would agree with tkpaul...Our Bailey is the same way. He is very athletic and active. He is also a self-regulator with his food. We feed him 2 cups twice a day, and he eats it as his leisure. I wouldn't worry to much unless there are symptoms of mal nutrition. I hope that my Bailey lives to be 15!!!! Good Luck...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Agreed... there ARE self-regulating labs (Bob PR has one!)
    ~Lindsay