Low Fat Diet
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Fat Diet

DefaultLow Fat Diet

Since we've brought up dog food......My Vet recommended Hill's R/d for Riley....(for those who haven't read her story....Valley Fever, hypothyroidism, and hyperlipidosis all under "control" at this time)
    The high tri-glicerides, and cholestorol prompted this recommendation, she was slightly overweight when started on Hills. (She's always been a big girl...Dad was 120 lbs...Riley averages, fit and trim around 90lbs)

She has lost the weight, about 8 lbs, now, but the food is very expensive, and causes extremely large...uumm, "waste product" if you know what I mean.
    She likes the food, but I would like to put her on something a little more healthy..Vet has no recommendations besides Hills...(He doesn't sell the food, by the way..)
    She has become very active latley, now that her Thyroid is under control, and temps have dropped below 100 degrees here in the desert. Vet says absoloutly must keep her on "low fat" due to the hyperlipidosis, so I'm kinda stuck....

Any suggestions would help!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Low Fat Diet

There are some senior and weight control formulas out there, just have to try to find'em. Make sure to compare ingredients to the food that works.

She's not a senior..only 3 1/2, will the senior food have enough nutrition for her?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Personally I think senior/weight management foods are filled with crap fillers.
    ~Lindsay

I get very hesitant to mess around with prescription diets, normally I'd say no to diet foods, but you're in a unique situation. It's not solely for weight loss, but to control certain medical problems. In this instance, I'd probably go with the Hills R/D for now until you can discuss with the vet other alternatives for low fat foods.

Premium Edge does has a weight control formula (assuming it's available in your area) with only 8% fat. Perhaps you could ask your vet about this (and it has what I consider better ingredients than the average "diet" food).
    http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/pe_hw2_page.html

Eagle Pack also has one:
    http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_RedFat.html

Both I think are superior than the average diet food full of peanut hulls.

That's kinda what I think, the crap fillers are not what she needs! since she is "on the road to recovery" she will need the proper nutrition to keep her active, etc. She doesn't have the stamina that she should have, but she is pretty active, all things considered. So she needs proper nutrition, in which Senior food, I don't think will have all she needs! Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!!!

Thanks Nick, I have a very good vet, but he seems to be lacking in the "nutrition" department!!(What doctor isn't?!?!?)
    I will check out the websites to see what I can find..I just want to keep her as healthy as possible, after all she's been thru!!!!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with Enders Mom. NO to the senior food and NO to the weight management food. The reason she is pooping all the time is because weight management foods are a big con. They are stuffed with crappy fillers and contain extra fibre to make the dog poop more. The fact they are pooping all the time makes them appear to lose weight.

If you want to keep her on a low fat food you can do but there are MUCH better low fat foods then Hill's. I can't give individual recommendations because I am not in the USA but others can.

OK, Trickster I figured you'd "chime" in! What do you have available, where you're at?
    I know we've all discussed the "raw diet", But I really gotta watch anything like that with her!

I would think she should have some fat in her diet, even with the problems she has, but how much?
    And you're right about the excessive pooping thing!!! (you'd think I had an elephant!!)

Could I stay with the Hills, but cut back, and add veggies, or meat to it to add nutrition?

If you add meat, you're also adding fat.

To get an idea of what you're shooting for, the Science Diet R/D has 8.6% fat (the Eagle Pack had 9% and the Premium Edge had 8% so I think either would work in the fat department).

And those two happened to come up first in my head, I'm sure there are others.

Just to compare those three foods:

Hills R/D:
    Ground Whole Grain Corn, Powdered Cellulose 15% (source of fiber), Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Peanut Hulls 11% (source of fiber), Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Mill Run, Dried Egg Product, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Oil, Iron Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, preserved with BHT, BHA and Ethoxyquin, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Carnitine, Beta-carotene.

Premium Edge Weight Management:
    Chicken, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, oatmeal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, white rice, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, egg product, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Eagle Pack Reduced Fat:
    Ground Brown Rice, Pork Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Oatmeal, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Air-Dried Peas, Dried Carrots, Inulin, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

All three have roughly the same amounts of fat. If the only reason your vet is recommending the R/D is the fat levels, then I think you've got plenty of alternatives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast