What amount to feed puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What amount to feed puppy

DefaultWhat amount to feed puppy

Just got our "Sandy" this past weekend, she is almost 8 weeks old and weighs 11lbs.
    She was fed Science Diet Puppy small bites by her breeder, and that is what we got for her.
    According to the label the ration is 1 3/4 cup daily, which we had been giving her twice a day.
    So far everytime she is fed she devours her food!. Now we are wondering if that amount might be too little for her.
    What are your suggestions? We shure don't want an overweight dog, but also want her to have enough.

Ps. Have not read too many good things about Science Diet on this forum.... Would definitively like to feed her something healthy and if possible if I could get it at Costo ( My favorite Store)

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What amount to feed puppy

Isn't Diamond sold at Costco? I hear that's a good brand. As someone who has gone through the food rollercoaster... if it is working for her I'd hesitate to switch her food. That being said... my puppy was fed Science Diet by his breeder and I switched as soon as I was able.

Labels are usually slightly higher portions than what your puppy needs. You need to consider how her current weight looks now and her activity level and adjust accordingly.

Oh and it's a common trait of labs to allways act starved.

~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

You can certainly find something better than Science Diet.* * A lot of people feed Kirklands, from Costco.* I've never fed it so can't say if it's appropriate for a large breed puppy.* I'm sure someone else will chime in.

At 8 weeks your puppy should be fed 3x a day -- up until 5 or 6 months of age.* At this age, I fed Sami 3/4 cup, 3x a day.* But depending on the food, the calories may be different so you can't really compare like that.

If you do decide to change your puppy's food ... do it VERY slowly.* Meaning, take at least 7 - 14 days w/ a gradual change.* Of course, you should probably discuss this with the breeder and make sure it won't void a warranty.

Yikes, I just looked up the ingredients of the food you are feeding: Hill's Science Diet Puppy Growth Small Bites, right?* Corn is the first ingredient -- ick! BHA and BHT are also potential carcinogens -- they are banned in certain countries.

Corn meal, chicken by-product meal (including white meat, dark meat, liver and other internal organs), soybean meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), dried beet pulp, brewers rice, vegetable oil, natural flavor, preserved with BHT and BHA, minerals (dicalcium phosphate, iodized salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).*

You want to make sure that the calcium isn't over 1.5% -- too much is very bad for large breed puppies.* It was not listed on the site I referred to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    You can certainly find something better than Science Diet. A lot of people feed Kirklands, from Costco. I've never fed it so can't say if it's appropriate for a large breed puppy. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Kirkland! That's what I was thinking... made by Diamond right? (Or maybe I'm losing it)
    ~Lindsay

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Kirkland!* That's what I was thinking... made by Diamond right?* (Or maybe I'm losing it)
    I think so .... what we need is Bob PR over here to straighten us out -- I know he feeds it!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

FLHunter3006, did your breeder not provide you with feeding instructions? all good breeders should. That is your first port of call. Get back in contact with your breeder and ask.

Don't follow the back of the bag. It is a guideline that should be adapted for the individual. I find that if you follow the back of the bag it can go either way...you end up feeding too much or too little. Usually it is the first.

Science Diet is an awful food. I would switch if possible. Do it slowly so you don't upset her stomach. Those ingredients are just...yuck.

Daimonds Naturals puppy for large breed is serving Duke well. *It can be foud in a bout any farm and ranch store. *Check the ingredients list. *Good food at a low price. www.diamondpet.com

Wow! what a great forum!
    So many helpful responses and So FAST!.
    I just came back from Costco (went during my lunchtime at work) and purchased the Kirkland brand puppy food, is not only cheaper $8.99 vs $18.99 for the Science Diet, but the ingredients seem better and you guys recommend it. So I trust your expertise.
    The breeder I bought it from is not what you would call a "Professional" breeder. It is a family that has a female lab that was bred for her first time
    ( had 11 puppies) She is a great looking dog, and was on the premises.Saw the male on a picture.
    Family seemend really nice and you could tell they took care of their pets. Got a health certficate and registration will be coming soon.
    I failed to ask about the feeding times (with all the excitement, I guess). But they recommende the Science Diet. Probably passed along by their vet.
    I like to do a LOT of research and gladly that's how I came across this forum.
    I would just like to find a good feeding schedule for her, so if you don't mind let me know the amount you have fed your puppy and at what times do you do it.
    I know all animals are different but a general idea will be helpful.

Thanks a Million.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Is this a large breed food? I'm not familiar w/ Kirkland's food, but please make sure the food you bought doesn't have a calcium % higher than 1.5%. Excesses in calcium have been linked to bone disorders. You really want your large breed dog to grow slowly.

Since you are switching, go VERY slowly. I'd replace 1/4 cup (or less)of the SD w/ the Kirkland's for several meals. Then move up to replacing 1/2 cup for several meals. Seriously, you do not want to do this too fast or you will have a pooping machine! ;D If at any time you get stomach troubles, back off and maintain for several days.

As I said earlier, at this age I fed 3/4 cup, 3x a day.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The puppy food does not need to be large breed as long as the calcium isn't higher than 1.5% I believe. I think most foods I have researched are about 1.2%. The breeder of my last lab, who I got from a show breeder so that I can show Grace, doesn't even feed LB puppy food at all. They fed Iams, and I switched to Innova.

I would probably feed a pup that age about 1/2 to 3/4 c at each meal, and feed 3x a day. You can slowly start upping that as they grow and get bigger. Use the bag as a guideline only, and modify the amount based on how the dog is eating and developing.

Science Diet isn't that popular because it's VERY VERY grain heavy and too little meat. Dogs should eat more meat than grains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast