Limping Dog

Thread: Limping Dog

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultLimping Dog

My dad informed me awhile back that Dryf was limping. Last week he said it had been long enough and would try to get into the vet's to check it out.

I know this may be a silly question, but would an X-Ray be the only way to tell what is wrong? Would surgery be the only alternative or depending on the verdict, may there be other things that could help?

Dryf is 12 and surgery is pretty much out of the question (not completely but..). My dad is questionning the usefullness of paying for a vet visit and x-rays as he assumes surgery is the only corrective measure that will be offered.

Opinions?

Obviously I'm telling him to GO TO THE VETS and get hte x-ray done if she recommends it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Limping Dog

No an x-ray is not the only way to tell what is wrong. Which leg(s) is the dog limping on? If it is the hind it could possilbly be cruciate, if that is the case they will probably want to do an x-ray but on my 2 that I had with cruciate nothing showed on the x-rays. The vet should be able to tell by exam if it is cruciate.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Would surgery be the only alternative or depending on the verdict, may there be other things that could help?
    Well, obviously he can't have any surgery until you find the cause of the problem, and I am not sure about vets policies on operating on older dogs. If arthritis is the problem (probably most likely in an older dog) it can be controlled by preventative measures (controlling exercise, etc.) and supplementing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is the front leg. Seems like it started as any normal limp but just hasn't gone away. I'm thinking arthritis or strained now that I've talked it thru abit. (thought it thru?).

The thing is he seems to have problems getting around the block (15min walk) which makes for a very short walk (and he's VERY slow). If it is arhritis i assume there is something that can be done to loosen up that one leg?

No point getting in front of myself i guess! I'll get my dad to go to the vet this week (which I believe is the plan anyway)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

At 12 years of age, and it being a front limb, my first inclination would be arthritis. THAT can be diagnosed with an xray no problems. Is the dog on supplements such as glucosamin and chondrotin? That might be beneficial at this age.

My dad just started him on glucosamine. The regulard stuff as its' what he had around the house and I told him to get the CL (is that it?) next time.

he's been on senior food for many years now and we thought that was good. It wasn't until a year or so ago I learned there is really not enough glucosamine in there to be of any help so since then i've been hinting to my dad to get some pills.

I've learned - there may be no actual benefit but I want to get rock on glucosamine early (4-5 years of age)