Hypoallergenic Food

Thread: Hypoallergenic Food

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHypoallergenic Food

Anybody using Hill's z/d low allergen food? After working my way through various food trials trying to determine what Darby, my chocolate, is allergic to, the vet is suggesting a four month trial of this.

For the price it should be a miracle cure. Not expecting much from it but wondered if anybody had had any luck with it.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hypoallergenic Food

What foods have you tried?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't use Hill's.

z/d® ULTRA Allergen-Free Canine

Ingredients
    Starch, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Hydrolyzed Chicken, Powdered Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), DL-Methionine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Beta-Carotene.

What on God's green earth is hydrolyzeds chicken??

I am not very familiar with individual US brands but there is definitely better hypoallergenic food out there. I would lot for something with minimal ingredients and a single meat protein source.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My advice for the FIRST THINGS to cut out are any wheat, corn or soy.

And this food has no real meat in it. And lots of things I can't pronounce. Bad Science Diet. That's why no one likes it. Except the vets who push it.

Find a single source meat protein and a single source carb (not wheat, corn or soy) and go from there.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Raven was on that, but probably not long enough to notice a difference. There are a lot of other foods out there for allergy related problems. If you didn't already buy the SD, I would try something else. Look for something without wheat or corn and look for a protein source that is out of the norm. For instance we tried Natural Balance Duck and Potato, they also have a Venison formula. Eagle Pack has some good hypoallergenic stuff too.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Golfgirlrobin, this is the hypo-allergenic food I feed;

INGREDIENTS:* Rice, Duck meat meal, organic oats, duck gravy, whole linseed, duck fat, alfalfa, natural seaweed, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, D,L-methione, lysine hydrochloride, threonine, zinc methionate.

CONTAINS:* Minimum 27% Duck, min. 27% rice, min. 12% organic oats.

TYPICAL ANALYSIS:* Protein 21%, Oil 10%, Fibre 4%, Ash 7.5%.

Well, actually the formula I feed is the lamb version so replace "duck meat meal" with "lamb meat meal". The one I feed also has slightly higher protein and fat. This food works really well for my crew. I also supplement with as many raw meals as possible, several a week minmum, mainly because I don't like the low meat content in this food AND my dogs enjoy some of the benefits of raw.

This type of food is what I suggest for an animation diet. If your dog still has problems on a single meat protein food like this you might want to try a food with no grains.

Hello,

We tried it. It did not work for us, but it might work for you. Lya started to scratch at her hears within two meals.

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Yes I did with Ernie. I didn't think it helped and it so expensive. $58 for 5 kilos.
    I took Ernie off all dry food. He did get better.
    Nick in here suggested it was wheat.
    If I am away it is easier for his carers to feed him dry. I found a N.Z.dry food without wheat and no preservatives and one month later no sign of the itchys.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin and Coat is a good food to start with other than Science Diet, so is Solid Gold. Solid Gold is a little more expensive than your regular premium dog food, but is cheper than the vet prescription diets. I have a lab who cant have any sort of poultry. I fould that out by comparing the ingredients on the foods I had her on then found a food that didnt have those that i thought didnt agree with her. Once i switched her to Nature's Recipe or Solid Gold, she stopped throwing up and stopped having diarrhea every time she went out. Her coat became soft and non flaky and she no longer has eyes that look like she is stoned 24/7