Reggie's Annual Check-up and hind leg weakness (A bit long)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie's Annual Check-up and hind leg weakness (A bit long)

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultReggie's Annual Check-up and hind leg weakness (A bit long)

Sorry for the long post but I thought I post about Reggie's annual vet visit and ask if anyone else's dog has had this issue.

Well Reggie when to the vet this week for his annual check-up. All and all pretty good for a 13yr old but he does have some issues. One big one, is that I've noticed that he has been developing some hind end weakness. When he stands for a bit, he starts to crouch down in the back, like his legs aren't supporting him. He doesn't really walk down the deckstairs with his back legs anymore, he kind of hops. He also, has a hard time backing up and will sometimes sit down to turn around. Sometimes I see his back feet facing a different direction from his front feet, like his front feet turned but his back feet didn't just yet.

At the vet's she was testing his back legs/feet by turning his toes under. He doesn't fix his right hind foot and it takes a while before he fixes his left hind foot (he does his front feet immediately) To me this means that he is losing feeling in his back legs. I did my own testing today when he was eating. If I stepped on either of his back feet (gently and just increasing pressure) he doesn't move. I just brush either front feet and he responds. He doesn't have any problem getting around. Another issue that he has might be related to his. He is having trouble holding his pee (and sometimes his poop) as he is walking across the deck to go out the yard, usually in the morning or when he is inside for a bit. I don't think his feels this like he should.

Anyway, we're going to try and figure this out. Has anyone else's dog had this as an issue?

There may not be anything that can be done though, but I'm not giving up just yet. He is a happer camper though. Still loving life.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

This is what is happening with Kaylie (who is 14 years old or so.) At her age I'm not putting her through a battery of tests (most of which - MRI's, xrays, scans - require anasthesia) at her advanced age. I'm just keeping her comfortable and making sure that she gets enough exercise to maintain the strength in her back legs.

How old is Reggie?

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

No answers or suggestions, just good thoughts coming Reggies way and (((hugs))) for you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

No answers here either Jeanne, just lots of good thoughts for you and Reggie both!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

It sounds like Degenerative Myelopathy. There's no cure, but the progression can be slowed down through life style changes. This website is about DM in German Shepherds, but is pretty informative.

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm

This is what is happening with Kaylie (who is 14 years old or so.) At her age I'm not putting her through a battery of tests (most of which - MRI's, xrays, scans - require anasthesia) at her advanced age. I'm just keeping her comfortable and making sure that she gets enough exercise to maintain the strength in her back legs.

How old is Reggie?
    Reggie is 13. I'm thinking like you are. I don't want to put him though dozens of tests willy-nilly. But may pursue some x-rays or something like that. I think what is going to be the dividing line is if it is something that we can do something about and have him have a good quality of life. That always sounds easy doesn't it, but it is going to be damn hard making the right decision and not second guessing myself.

What is a good thing is that he doesn't seem to be in pain and is pretty happy all in all.

Micksmom - I'm thinking the same thing too (DM). Good website. Thanks. I also found a few videos of YouTube that either vets or owners had posted. The dogs they showed looked more advanced but do look similar to what Reggie's been doing.

One confounding fact though is that Reggie did have a slipped disc before in his neck, maybe about a year or so ago which cased him to have a front leg limp. The Orthovet could get a pain response though. So it may be off to the Orthovet just to confirm this isn't the problem. The Orthovet put him on a long course of Prednisone. High dose then gradually tapering off over months. It solved his limp in a few days.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Yes, that's our best guess too, the DM. Right now it's limited to dragging one hind leg, but she did "wet her bed" the other night. She has a lot of trouble turning around and backing up as well.

Another good site: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/cani...degenmyel2.htm
    Last edited by kaytris; 04-16-2009 at 05:43 PM.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpinal arthritis?

Our chessie had similar issues. He was treated with Rimadyl, chinese herbs and had a few chiropractic appointments (all with our vets approval). They helped him tremendously and he was going to start acupuncture but he suddenly died (long sad story that I still can't talk about).
    Maybe one/some of these alternative treatments might help.

Sorry to hear about your Chessie rayluckgoo. Thanks for the response and advice.

One thing I do want to say, I am not giving up on this boy. Even if it turns out that there is nothing we can do to make it all go away, I am going to make sure he enjoys a good long life.

Melissa is offline Senior Member

Sounds like my Otis. We did one set of x-rays to rule out a tumor on his spine or a disc problem. Ruling those items out, the vet is calling it DM even though we didn't have an MRI or an xray with contrast. It was a process of elimination.

When we first took Otis in last summer, the vet had a vet tech walk him up and down the sidewalk, on and off the curb, while he watched. He could see he was not fully lifting up his back feet. We hadn't even noticed that at that point. He also turned his feet over, like your vet did, and Otis didn't right them. He speculated at the time it was DM, but we had the x-rays to rule out other possibilities.

Otis has had some issues with holding his urine - he'll dribble when he's lying down or as he's walking toward the backdoor. He sometimes has some problems with his poop also. But both of those seem to come and go.

It's been 9 or 10 months since we first took him in, and now he's dragging both back feet noticably when he walks most of the time. Sometimes his back end just comes out from under him. But then he'll still take off running in the back yard too some days.

Good days and bad days. Good luck to Reggie.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast