I need reassurance- Sammi has a lump!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: I need reassurance- Sammi has a lump!

  1. #1
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    DefaultI need reassurance- Sammi has a lump!

    Sorry the picture quality isn't the best, I will try again- but Sammi has had this for about 2wks. no real change- thought she had injured herself at the park, but it doesn't appear to be sore to her, I can mess with it and it doesn't bother her, its about eraser size, smooth, and raised! Vet thinks it's a wart, but was happy to either remove and biopsy or just watch and wait! Thoughts would be appreciated-Thx's- Di


  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    YellowJakesMom's Avatar
    YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,276

    Default

    Did they stick a needle in it to aspirate it? I'm the nervous type, so I would opt to have it removed I think - but that's just me and my OCD

    Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

  4. #3
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Did they stick a needle in it to aspirate it? I'm the nervous type, so I would opt to have it removed I think - but that's just me and my OCD
    No he just felt it, it doesn't appear to have any fluid, I really like my vet and he is totally happy doing what I want- I'm seriously leaning towards taking it off and doing the biopsy- would never forgive myself if it was something and not caught early- but thought if someone else's pup had something similar they might be able to tell me I'm over reacting! Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy for thinking this way!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Garth is offline Registered Users
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,466

    Default

    I think/hope it's just a harmless lump. I had a KCS who had about 4 lumps that looked like that. The vet kept telling me not to worry, they were only harmless warts. She lived to be 12 with no problems.

    If it makes you happy, get it taken off & get a biopsy then you'll know for sure.

  7. #5
    Baloo317's Avatar
    Baloo317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,793

    Default

    I would have it taken off, or aspirated at the very least. Like you, I could never forgive myself if it was something serious and I brushed it off.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!


  8. #6
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    I would have it taken off, or aspirated at the very least. Like you, I could never forgive myself if it was something serious and I brushed it off.
    Thanks so much, I might watch it for another week or so, then have it taken off just for my piece of mind! Vet said he was comfortable watching it for a month, I'm too much of a worry "wart" so to speak. She is my baby ya know, as are all of our pooches

  9. #7
    Oliver'smom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I would get it removed and a biopsy done. My lab had a pink, eraser-sized warty thing near his hind leg when he was 8. He was feeling fine but I discovered it when I was giving him a bath. I took him to the vet and she said it was up to me if we wanted to take a wait-and-see approach or investigate it more. I had her aspirate it and examine it thru the microscope there at the vet clinic ($110 for that). She thought the cells looked a little funny but couldn't be sure what it was so she recommended a removal and biopsy. We had it removed & it turned out to be a mast cell tumor stage I/II and were lucky that the tumor had not spread beyond the borders of its original site. My dog didn't require any chemo or meds. The bill for the removal and lab biopsy was $300. It's always good to know what you're dealing with b/c dogs who get a mast cell tumor once are more likely to get them again. Mast cell tumors account for up to 20% of skin tumors in dogs and they can be a very serious form of cancer. I'm not trying to scare you, just to let you know that something that I thought was nothing could've been a disaster for my dog and it was worth the $110 for my peace of mind. Good luck and best wishes to Sammi!

  10. #8
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver'smom View Post
    I would get it removed and a biopsy done. My lab had a pink, eraser-sized warty thing near his hind leg when he was 8. He was feeling fine but I discovered it when I was giving him a bath. I took him to the vet and she said it was up to me if we wanted to take a wait-and-see approach or investigate it more. I had her aspirate it and examine it thru the microscope there at the vet clinic ($110 for that). She thought the cells looked a little funny but couldn't be sure what it was so she recommended a removal and biopsy. We had it removed & it turned out to be a mast cell tumor stage I/II and were lucky that the tumor had not spread beyond the borders of its original site. My dog didn't require any chemo or meds. The bill for the removal and lab biopsy was $300. It's always good to know what you're dealing with b/c dogs who get a mast cell tumor once are more likely to get them again. Mast cell tumors account for up to 20% of skin tumors in dogs and they can be a very serious form of cancer. I'm not trying to scare you, just to let you know that something that I thought was nothing could've been a disaster for my dog and it was worth the $110 for my peace of mind. Good luck and best wishes to Sammi!
    Thanks so much for the info. I'm leaning towards getting it taken off just to be on the safe side- but it is almost all white now and truly does look like a wart- and nothing like the mass cell tumors I have seen on the internet. I'll let the vet look at it again next wk. and make a decision then- thanks again- Di

  11. #9
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    How old is Sammi? Unless I know for sure it's a lipoma I usually have them asperated and checked under a scope by the vet.

    When Shanny had her MCT, it just didn't feel like a lipoma to me so we asperated it. Vet saw some none fat cells in there so we had it removed. Grade II MCT.

    I'm not saying this to scare you, just alert you why I usually recommend having any new lumps checked out and asperated.



    Laura





  12. #10
    Di
    Di is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    21,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    How old is Sammi? Unless I know for sure it's a lipoma I usually have them asperated and checked under a scope by the vet.

    When Shanny had her MCT, it just didn't feel like a lipoma to me so we asperated it. Vet saw some none fat cells in there so we had it removed. Grade II MCT.

    I'm not saying this to scare you, just alert you why I usually recommend having any new lumps checked out and asperated.
    She is 3, there really wasn't anything to aspirate- its solid and firm - sort of like and eraser, but even smaller at this point- its almost like its "drying up" not sure if that explains it. Its also mostly white at this point. Most likely to ease my mind I will just have it taken off- I really do appreciate the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25