Protein question

Thread: Protein question

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultProtein question

We're going to start the switch from LB puppy food to adult dog food with Molly. She currently eats NutroMax LB puppy food which has a protein percentage of 28%.

She does well on the Nutro food so we'll probably keep her on it (although we may switch to Proplan) what is a good percentage to look for in an adult dog food and should it be large breed or no?

Abby currently eats Nutro Natural Choice LB Weight Management and it has a protein precent of 18%. We were told to keep her protein intake on the lower side since she had a problem with frequent crystals in her urine,plus it helps maintian her weight. My mom seems to think Molly should just eat Abby's food but I say that Molly doesn't need weight management.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Protein question

She does well on the Nutro food so we'll probably keep her on it (although we may switch to Proplan) what is a good percentage to look for in an adult dog food and should it be large breed or no?
    No, I would not feed large breed adult. Adult maintenance is fine. Protein levels in most adult maintenance foods are 18-26%. The food I feed has 22% protein which is about average.

Abby currently eats Nutro Natural Choice LB Weight Management and it has a protein precent of 18%. We were told to keep her protein intake on the lower side since she had a problem with frequent crystals in her urine,plus it helps maintian her weight. My mom seems to think Molly should just eat Abby's food but I say that Molly doesn't need weight management.
    Molly definitely doesn't need weight management. Infact, my view is that weight management foods are a bit of a con. They are usually full of fillers to bulk the dog up and make it poop more. You are better off sticking to an adult maintenance formula but reducing the feed...you will get the same results without feeding the crappy bits.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

LOL at Betsy.

Laura

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Would you all please stage an intervention with my mom?! She buys into it thinking that Abby will starve if we feed her 2 1/2 cups a day of maitnence food and that she needs to be on the food to lose weight. I on the other hand know much better then I did before (thanks to you all) that reducing the food and exercise will produce much better results and a healthier doggie

I'm going to make my mom look at that website Betsy :P
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)