Which puppy food would you choose?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which puppy food would you choose?

DefaultWhich puppy food would you choose?

Found two quality foods Food A and Food B. Please tell me which one you would prefer and why? Puppy is 10 wks old. Basically the only difference is protein and fat percentages.

Food A Food B
    32 Protein 27
    22 Fat 15
    3 fiber 3
    10 moisture 10
    1.2 Calcium 1.2
    1.0 Phos. 1.0

Both also have the same amount of Omega 3, 6 and DHA

Please let me know which one you would go with and why.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Which puppy food would you choose?

Both have good amounts of protein for a pup but I would probably go for the one with 32%. Puppies need that bit extra.

What is also important are the ingredients...make sure whatever food you feed is high quality.

What are the ingredients....probably more important

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quality ingredients in both foods.*No corn and no fillers. Both are 3-star foods as rated by www.dogfoodanalysis.com.* I purposely left off name brands to prevent any biases.* Thanks for input.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I purposely left off name brands to prevent any biases
    Aw...come on, spill...we won't bite!

I would not take the dog food analysis site too seriously. Remember that the reviews are only one persons opinion. I do like that site for looking at individual brands/ingredients but take the reviews with a pinch of salt. The best food is what works for your dog.

labby is offline Senior Member

#2. There is no way I would feed my puppies that much protein. I'm old enough to remember what happened to Lab puppies that were fed Eukanuba (before there was a LB puppy food) as puppies with 31% protein. I would personally come over and kick my puppy person in the ass if they even considered it.

Oh and that dog food analysis is a bunch of BS. Written by someone who has absolutely no clue about nutrition and has nothing to back it up.

Laura

I would go with #2 ... and I had chosen that before I read labby's reply!! ;D

And I agree, that dog food analysis site is a waste of your time. Whoever keeps posting for people to look there should stop! It's very misleading for the average person as it's based on someone's personal point of view.

OK trickster, you talked me into it.*

Food A:* Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, beet pulp, potatoes, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Food B:* Lamb, egg product, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, salmon oil (a source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Is there anything in these ingredients you don't like.

The website is not that bad. It's just another piece of information/opinion to factor into the decisions we all have to make. Plus it is an easy way to compare ingredients and brands. What is it about that site that you oppose so strongly. I'm still learning.

labby is offline Senior Member

Where to begin. LOL. The analysis part is so wrong. There is nothing wrong with by-products as long as they are named (for instance chicken rather than poultry). People who usually say they are bad are usually people who are clueless about nutrition.

Laura

They both look like the Kirkland products I have been feeding which are made by Diamond. Are they both puppy foods?
    In looking at ingredients only; I'd prolly pick Food A; but when you throw in the Protein/Fat percentages, I'd go with B. Actually, what my furkids are eating now is pretty close to Food A but with only 26% protein and 14% fat.
    I really know nothing about puppy food other than to feed whatever your breeder recommends. Otherwise, I'd go with a LB puppy food.

edited to say that The Dog Food Project (you can google it) has a lot of ingredient information when comparing ingredients. I like that site better because she doesn't "rate" her foods by ***** but gives you the information to make a good decision. (At least she didn't used to; haven't been there in a while).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast