limping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limping

Defaultlimping

My 3 year old lab was running in the yard yesterday. All of the sudden she started crying and limping. She took pressure of her right rear leg. I laid her down and checked her leg. I was able to move her leg around in all directions (slowly). My wife is an RN. She also felt around the leg and did some movement test. The Dog didn't mind us moving her leg around. She actually seemed to enjoy it. She is not acting any diffrent. This morning she had her leg up. But she was still acting normal. Wagging her tail, going out in the yard through her doggy door several times. She seems normal beside holding her leg up. Do you think this is just a sprain of some sort? Should we just let her rest and wait to see if it gets better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: limping

Take her to the vet. She could have a cruciate injury.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

SandieF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    Take her to the vet.* She could have a cruciate injury.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

Do you have pet insurance for her?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Certainly sounds like a cruciate injury based on your description and history, but only a vet with experience in orthopedics could tell you for sure. I would get her in.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

OK, maybe I'm dumb, but what the heck is a "cruciate" injury? And how many vets are familiar with orthopedics? Or, should my vet be familiar with orthopedics?
    Just butting in on conversation, but wanted to know!!!!

I'm not sure if the actual definition is more specific, but it's used generically to describe ligament damage (i.e. ACL). Most vets should be familiar with the basics, but I'd argue that an ortho vet would be better suited to treat it. Similarly, most MDs can diagnose a ligament injury in humans, but they'll likely refer you to an orthopedic surgeon.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The cranial cruciate ligment helps hold the joint together/helps it move.* People get the exact same injury...

Its a very common injury and a regular vet will be able to diagnose it.* Chances are they will most likely refer it out to an ortho vet though depending on the level of damage.* A partially torn cruciate might not require surgery, just extended no exercise.* A torn cruciate could result in a variety of surgeries depending on what the vets in your area commonly do and so forth.

Hudler blew both knees last summer, and we had 2 TPLO's in a row...1 in July and 1 in September...

OK, continuing in on butting in...sorry....
    Wouldn't going to the vet today be a little pre-mature? I've had torn ACL 2 times and have avoided surgery. Both my Labs have had strenuous exercise and have had sore, limping the next, say 10-12 hrs afterward, kinda like me when I think I'm still 19!!!! I would take a wait and see approach to the situation, for at least a day or two...
    I don't want to be a "fly in the ointment" here, but running to the vet could cause more problems than already present?!?!?!
    If the dog is not exhibiting any overt pain response, especially to rotation of the leg, wouldn't prudence prevail?
    Obviously, if the dog is in noticeable pain, a vet should be consulted, but how hard was the dog playing? And for how long, and is the dog used to playing had for any extended period of time?!?!
    Jeez, I don't know, I'm just putting this out there.....I'm sure most of you are smarter than me, but just a thought!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    OK, continuing in on butting in...sorry....
    Wouldn't going to the vet today be a little pre-mature? I've had torn ACL 2 times and have avoided surgery. Both my Labs have had strenuous exercise and have had sore, limping the next, say 10-12 hrs afterward, kinda like me when I think I'm still 19!!!! I would take a wait and see approach to the situation, for at least a day or two...
    I don't want to be a "fly in the ointment" here, but running to the vet could cause more problems than already present?!?!?!
    If the dog is not exhibiting any overt pain response, especially to rotation of the leg, wouldn't prudence prevail?
    Obviously, if the dog is in noticeable pain, a vet should be consulted, but how hard was the dog playing? And for how long, and is the dog used to playing had for any extended period of time?!?!
    Jeez, I don't know, I'm just putting this out there.....I'm sure most of you are smarter than me, but just a thought!!!!
    In a word? No! Get to the vet. Almost any vet will know how to examine the knee for "drawer sign", the indicator that the cruciate ligament is blown. There could also be a partial tear. Either way, you'll face a decision, to have surgery to replace the ligment ("traditional" ex-capular surgery) or re-shape the joint (TPLO), or to exercise Conservative Management, ie, severely restricted exercise (going out to urinate or defecate ONLY) for 4-6 months. There are groups on Yahoo (Conservative Management and Orthodogs), but you should know what you're dealing with. The vet visit is the way to go. I am speaking from experience, as my dog Nemo is in the middle of his recovery period after having cruciate ligament surgery 4 months ago. This type of injury is VERY common in labs and other large breeds. Don't take a chance of ignoring it and leaving it untreated, or at least undiagnosed. Go to the vet and have it checked out. Really.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Both my Labs have had strenuous exercise and have had sore, limping the next, say 10-12 hrs afterward, kinda like me when I think I'm still 19!!!! I
    I'm totally hijacking here, but I have a question. I see people say this kind of thing every now and then and I have to ask, is this normal? Sami is what I call a very "in shape" kind of gal. She gets lots of daily exercise. I have never once seen her sore and limping afterwards. Is this something that comes w/ age? (I mean, afterall, Sami is only 15 months old). I once met a lady at the dog park who had a lab the same age as Sami and she could only bring him every few days because the day after (playing at the park) he was always so sore he couldn't move well. That always struck me as strange.

Oh, and to the original poster -- If it were my dog I'd have her to the vet ASAP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast