Percent of Crude Protein
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percent of Crude Protein

DefaultPercent of Crude Protein

What percent of crude protein should dry dog food have? Is there a better range to aim for? Ours has 34% also can the second ingredient by chicken by product as long as the first ingredient isn't?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Percent of Crude Protein

I prefer anywhere from 22-26%. Is the chicken by product listed as "chicken by product meal" or just by product? As long as is says meal it can be a good source of protien. How old is this dog?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It depends. Anywhere from 18-25% is the typical protein content on an adult maintenance food. Adult maintenance would be suitable for the large majority of pet dogs. Anything 26-31% is usually geared towards more active performance dogs but some "rich" foods like Innova have a very high protein content.

Personally, the protein content of my dogs food is 22%. In shooting season I will put my boys on a performance food with a 30/20% protein/fat ratio. The rest of the year they get maintenance food.

can the second ingredient by chicken by product as long as the first ingredient isn't?
    What brand are you feeding? I prefer not to see by products in kibble. By products are usually associated with poor quality kibble.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    It depends. Anywhere from 18-25% is the typical protein content on an adult maintenance food. Adult maintenance would be suitable for the large majority of pet dogs. Anything 26-31% is usually geared towards more active performance dogs but some "rich" foods like Innova have a very high protein content.

Personally, the protein content of my dogs food is 22%. In shooting season I will put my boys on a performance food with a 30/20% protein/fat ratio. The rest of the year they get maintenance food.
    Sorry to hijack ... but Trickster I thought you fed at least one meal a day raw.* If so, isn't the overall protein of your dog's daily diet considerably higher?* Just curious as we are just starting occasional raw meals here.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Wanted to ask -- how old is Bailey? 34% would be considered too high if she still a puppy.

Bailey is 5 1/2 months old. He is a very active dog. He is learning to hunt and goes out daily for some good exercise. The food is made by a local veterniary so nothing that you would have heard about, but it is the same food that our breeder feeds his dogs. Thanks for the help. I am just doing some research on different foods. He has thrown up a couple of times which is unlike him, and I didn't know if his food could be part of that.

Thanks for all the help

Sorry to hijack ... but Trickster I thought you fed at least one meal a day raw.* If so, isn't the overall protein of your dog's daily diet considerably higher?* Just curious as we are just starting occasional raw meals here.
    I fed half raw half kibble from May-September. Now school/work has started it is more occasional raw meals then half and half. I still feed as much as I can though. I COULD feed them raw in the mornings but I don't know if I have the stomach for it at 6:00 a.m.!

I would not be too worried about high protein levels with occasional raw meals. Obviously if you went full raw you would have to do your research to get the ratios right but other then that I don't think it is an issue. Glad to hear you are experimenting with raw.*

Bailey is 5 1/2 months old.* He is a very active dog.* He is learning to hunt and goes out daily for some good exercise.* The food is made by a local veterniary so nothing that you would have heard about, but it is the same food that our breeder feeds his dogs.* Thanks for the help.* I am just doing some research on different foods.* He has thrown up a couple of times which is unlike him, and I didn't know if his food could be part of that.

Thanks for all the help
    Dogs throw up for all sorts of reasons. Most of the time they throw up because they have eaten something that doesn't agree with them. I can't imagine your dogs food played a part in it if he has been weaned on that food.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Chances are the food didn't make your dog vomit. Most likely could have been anything!

Personally though, I think it's way too much protein for a pup and not too fond of by-products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast