Big Mac having surgery today for OCD in hock (ankle)

Thread: Big Mac having surgery today for OCD in hock (ankle)

DefaultBig Mac having surgery today for OCD in hock (ankle)

I am taking our newest puppy (Big Mac) to an orthopedic surgen to have is back two legs worked on for his OCD. There is a bone fragment that is making his ankles swell and he is having a hard time getting up and walking.

Has anyone else had this type of surgery done? What can we expect once the surgery is completed? Also, Mickey (our female black lab) is a very active dog and I'm trying how best to keep her entertained while Big Mac is out of comission. Should we keep them seperate as much as possible to ensure she doesn't hurt him?

The worried dad,
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Big Mac having surgery today for OCD in hock (ankle)

Just got an update from the orthopedic surgeon: They said he had very large pieces of bone in his hock and that they were able to remove all of them. He also removed all of the arthritis that had already developed as well. He's doing well on morphine now and we hope to bring him home tomorrow assuming he doesn't have any issues from being knocked out.

I'll update with our progress and some pictures in case anyone else has to go through this surgery at some point in the future.

A somewhat relieved dad,
    Eric

Big Mac is home again and is walking fine. They gave us the pieces of bone they took out of his hock and OH MY! I'm guessing he's going to feel much with that big old piece taken out. He's already eaten and pooped, but has also been whining (which he rarely does), so I assume he's still in some pain from it.

I'll post some pictures after I get home.

Eric

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SandieF Guest

I'm glad Mac is doing better. Frodo had TPLO surgery last week, but I don't have any experience with what Mac had done. How did the bone get 'loose' and break? He must have been in agony the poor thing. It's also great that the Vet got all the arthritis! They tell me they got all Frodo's too when they were in there.

Give Mac a hug from Frodo and I hope he's back to his old self soon.

The told us that OCD in the hock is a genetic defect. Basically, the bone wasn't formed properly from birth. The really sad part is that the poor guy has had it all his life and didn't know that pain wasn't supposed to be there.

I'll update more as he progresses. He also had adobminal surgery a week and a half ago for an obstruction (he ate almost 5 cups of dirt/sand!), so he's been through a lot lately. He's just such a cool fun dog, I couldn't think of not doing everything I could for him.

I will do with that hug.

Eric

Big Mac is doing well and I'm really suprised at how well he is moving even with having such major surgery. Here are some pictures of him:

Big Mac says "I'm feeling a little woosy momma..."

You can see a slight scar on the inside of his hock...

Here is some of the fragments taken out of one hock...

Here is the one taken out of the other hock...

And just in case anyone wanted to see more of our dogs, you can more pics of Big Mac here:
    http://www.ericpullen.com/gallery2/v/Pets/

Update on Big Mac....

He is doing very well, and in fact I have to say we now have a "puppy" on our hands. I didn't realize how much pain he must have been in when growing up. He's doing all of the "bad" things puppies do (jumping on people/items, rough housing, etc) and its only been a little over a week. We are still on strict crate rest, but even when we let him out to eat and potty, he can't help but want to play.

His hocks are looking better, and the swelling looks to be much less than a few days ago. I'll try and take some pictures for future reference in case anyone else has to go through this.

Eric

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. Your dogs are adorable!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

SandieF Guest

It's astounding that they can still walk after such surgery isn't it? I picked up Frodo the day after surgery and he was putting full weight on his leg. If it had been me I would have been hopping on one!

Glad to hear he's doing well, those pictures of the bone fragments are grusome, the poor thing.

cindy53172 is offline Junior Member

I see your post was a few years ago. How is Big Mac doing? Our 5 month old chocolate was just diagnosed with OCD in both hocks. We were told by the ortho surgeon that she didn't recommend surgery. She said it's only successful in 60% of the cases and it's only temporarily. She said he case is more severe and that because the bone isn't formed the way it should our best bet it so limit his activity and there's a 50/50 chance that as he grows scar tissue will form around the area and make it less painful.

There is a surgery option when he's older to replace the bones complete but it's close to $10,000.

Hoping Bic Mac is doing well.

Thanks, Cindy