Feeding enough or not enough?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding enough or not enough?

DefaultFeeding enough or not enough?

Sadie is 3 1/2 months old and at her vet visit last week she weighed 40lbs.* The vet says she looks good, but I am just nervouse she isn't eating enough.* Maybe I am just comparing her to her sister too much!?* Sadie is taller and longer than her sister, but she just seems so skinny to me.* I don't want her to be overweight, but I want her to look healthy.* She is my first dog, so I may be a little overly paranoid about this.* Here are some pictures of her.

That is her sister on the other side of the fence.

What do you think? I feed her 2 rounded cups of food twice a day. According to her bag of food, I am feeding her what is recommended, and I don't increase to 5 cups until she is 5 months old. I know these are just guidelines, but since I am new to this I just don't know for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Feeding enough or not enough?

She looks great to me.

I have the same concerns over Ender... I rather err on the skinny side though for the health reasons.
    ~Lindsay

Mybabymambo Guest

Looks good to me but I am no expert. Very cute might I add.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

She looks good. It is much healthier to keep a dog on the leaner side.

If you are concerned about feeding amounts ask your breeder. Don't follow the back of the bag.

Remember, you should be able to feel but not see her ribs. You might see a bit of rib on a very lean well conditioned adult dog but you should definitely not see ribs on a pup. If you can see ribs, she is too skinny.

I am feeding the same food as the breeder (next door neighbor), but he doesn't measure his dogs food. He just has a large scoop that he uses. To me, his dog looks overweight already. In the third picture I can see her ribs, and that is what makes me nervous. I can't always see them that much, but pretty close.

For some reason out of the litter Sadie is nothing like the other 3 pupss. She never has been! I, as well as some others, think she is going to be a very large dog. Her mom is only 65lbs and the breeder said dad was about the same (but I think he weighed more). The breeder seems to think all the pups will be a very close size to mom, but I just can't imagine Sadie only gaining 25 more lbs in the next 9 months. Heck she gained 19lbs just from last month to this month.

Hi Sadies Mom!

Look at the responses I got to "How much should I feed Hooch?" There is some good information in there from Bob Pr on how to determine how much food to give.

It really helped me a lot.

Good Luck!

Samsmom1

Not sure if I am understanding the chart or not. http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

According to the first chart I don't think I am feeding her enough. I put her weight in and went down to "puppy (50-80% adult weight)" and it says she should have 1860 kcal/day. I am only feeding her 1520 kcal/day. But how do I know if she is 50-80% or 0-50% adult weight. If she is only 0-50% then I really need to feed her more, because then it should be 2325 kcal/day.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

In the third picture I can see her ribs, and that is what makes me nervous.* I can't always see them that much, but pretty close.*
    Ahh...I didn't notice that but I can see what you mean. She does look a little thin in that last picture...perhaps a little thinner then I would care to see in a pup. Not drastically though. Maybe raise her by half a cup/a full cup and see if she fills out a little. Remember, don't go by the bag --the amount printed should be adapted for the individual. I personally go by the age, activity level and condition of the dog. If the dog is looking chubby, cut back. If the dog is looking thin, feed more.*

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Yes but I think that a "healthy" dog will allways show a rib or two depending on the body position and lighting. If when she's standing normally and you are looking at her from the side... those ribs stick out... well then I'd say skinny. But that third picture she is in a funny position.
    ~Lindsay

I think I am going to increase her food a little and see how she starts to look. In that 3rd picture she was actually just starting to sit(DD was feeding them a treat), so not in too funny of a position. That 2nd picture really was at a bad angle, I think that 3rd picture is pretty accurate on what she looks like most of the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast