Auggie's abdominal exploratory surgery/UPDATE 10/14/06
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auggie's abdominal exploratory surgery/UPDATE 10/14/06

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultAuggie's abdominal exploratory surgery/UPDATE 10/14/06

Thank you all for the prayers, good thoughts, and well wishes.

The U of M called with the 'thumb nail' pathology report.
    Her spleen tumors were benign and there was a lot of chronic conjestion/blood pooling.
    The slice of the liver lobe with the tumor that they removed was diagnosed as hepatocellular carcinoma (no evidence of hemangiocarcinoma); the margin was not differentiated (meaning there were cancer cells all the way to the margin, so they did not get it all) and there was necrosis/death of some liver cells.
    The enlarged adrenal gland aspirate showed nothing abnormal except it appears that this adrenal gland is making red blood cells...perhaps compensating for the 'sick' spleen.

So we are going to be dealing with liver cancer/failure somewhere down the road. The survival rate of surgery (which Auggie had) vs. chemo vs. radiation is all 1 to 3 years, none of them showing a definitive advantage. They suggest doing a liver enzyme/blood panel test at least twice a year to monitor liver function. I'll no doubt have that done every three months.

One day at a time. As of today Auggie is feeling very good, eating well, and has more energy than she has had for a couple of years now. The route we will take will be neutritional/herbal support along with conventional medical support, as Dr. Dale practices both conventional and alternative medicine.

At noon today we are going to the vet to have her incision look at and the surgical staples probably removed. ;D Then she can be free to run, jump, and play with her dog friends and us again.

9Oct.'06
    Early August Auggie's behavior/habits/outlook changed a great deal. She ate and drank water as usual, pee and poop normal, but seemed very heat intolerant, did not want to be 'with' us but rather lie on the rear deck (that has only 3 steps as opposed to the front deck that has 11 steps), at times looked 'confused' and at others totally uninterested in her surroundings. Her new lying posture was flat out on her side and I (the only one) was very concerned about the appearance of her abdomen which seemed too prominent for a very fit dog. I would lie on our bed and watch her on the deck not 4 feet from me; her respirations were shallow and rapid, 30-35/minute, even though she was not 'panting'. We took her to her vet, Dr. Dale. Temp normal, extensive blood work normal, x-rays normal looking. Bud wondered if she had had a stroke and I thought she acted like someone with a very bad headache and bloat. By the 3rd week of August she was back to 80% 'normal; prancey trot, interested in life again, and spending time with Bud again while he worked outside in the woods or barnyard. In this meantime (last two weeks of Aug.) I switched her from Solid Gold Hundenflocken to Solid Gold Barking at the Moon - 42% protein, 20% fat, most of carbs from potato.

Sat., Sept.16 started out very good. Auggie went out for chores with Bud, came back to the front deck to watch for him to come out of the cow yard, ran down the steps, ran hard across the big farm yard to meet him and off they went down the farm drive to the newspaper box. On the way back to the house she found her outside ball and wanted him to throw it for her which he did several times. 7:30 she ate a normal morning meal. At 9:30 she 'silently & with no wanning' vomited her meal in two places close together in the living room. We were getting ready to go somewhere and were very surprised to find the vomit with everything she had eaten two hours earlier completely identifiable. As we cleaned it up Auggie was in her 'oh goody, we are going somewhere' mode, completely normal and unphased.

Auggie, again without any warning, threw up a large quantity of yellow (bile) and foam. We got home in about 10min. While we cleaned the back seat liner of the car, Auggie went unto the lawn in the sunshine and layed down flat out on her side. I went and talked to her three times and she had her eyes open, was breathing, but was 'unresponsive'; her nose was ice cold and ear leathers and foot pads on the coolish side. We got her up and into the other car and off to the vet. We had to WAIT about a half hour (waited in the car, Auggie resting but aware of where we were and not caring). Complete blood panel and other tests - couldn't find front legs veins so Dr. Dale went for the jugular. And abdominal x-rays. She drank some water there and was feeling a bit better by the time we left the vet. Sun., all day and Mon. morning she seemed to be about 60%, if that makes any sense at all.

Mon. (18th) at noon she came in for lunch with Bud but instead of hanging out under the dining room table she laid in the living room and intermittently shivered. I immediately took her to Dr. Dale. He gave her a liter of IV fluids and referred us to another vet for an ultrasound exam. After the IV she felt and looked pretty good and off we went for the ultrasound. Her spleen showed to be at least twice normal size with it's 'tail' extending along the bottom of her abdomen almost to the bladder, no 'masses' could be 'seen'.

Tues morning I returned Dr.Dale's x-rays and brought Auggie with just for the ride. He looked at her again, prescribed two antibiotics -Metronidazole & Amoxcillin- , and did a Leptospirosis titer. 48 house after starting the antibiotics I could see a marked improvement in her comfort level but the tummy/spleen was still enlarged and showed no signs of going down. The whole rest of the week I spent in a quandary as to what would be best for her; let well enough alone or follow the spleen trail.

Mon., Sept. 25, Bud & I had a very long consultation with Dr. Dale. It was decided to refer Auggie to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Clinic for an abdominal exploratory.

The 26th & 27th were spent at the U of M on more blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound...... Oct 4th Auggie had her surgery where they found a 'tennis ball sized' tumor on her left liver lobe and an enlarged but 'normal looking' left adrenal gland. The surgeon removed the left liver lobe and the spleen and took aspirates of the left adrenal gland. Auggie recovered from anesthesia quite well for her age, she will be 11 the end of Dec.

We brought her home the afternoon of the 5th. No prescriptions except for 'pain meds'. I gave her both the Tramadol and Rimadyl that evening but did not give the give any more Tramadol because it is constipating and we were on diligent "poop watch". Sat.am "we had POOP" and Sat. during the day she was feeling so frisky that I quit the Rimadyl too. As of this morning her mega incision and staples are looking very good; no swelling, no redness, no draining, and is 'normal/cool' to the touch. Auggie is getting exasperated with us because we don't let her outside unattended, yell NO/SLOW at her when she canters, make her go up and down that foolish ramp Bud built for her off the back deck, and have the high front deck stairs barricaded so she can lay out there and watch her world.

I am hoping the staples will come out the16th. Now the long wait for the dreaded pathology reports, which I will update in this post. As of today, Oct 9, 2006 we have our Auggie doggie back to her old self and really enjoying her life again
    (well, as much as we will let her for the time being, until those staples come out) !!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Auggie's abdominal exploratory surgery

You and Auggie are in my thoughts and prayers.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry to hear all of this. Wishing Auggie a speedy recovery and good thoughts and prayers for the pathology report.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Oh no ... hope that everything turns out okay. I know waiting is difficult. Prayers and good thoughts for you and Auggie!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts on the way.
    ~Lindsay

prayers for a complete recovery for Auggie

It's a good thing you were diligent in finding an answer. I hope she recover fully quickly

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Oh, gosh, poor Auggie. I'm sorry. Good thoughts for her as she recovers.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Auggie's abdominal exploratory surgery/UPDATE 10/14/06

bumping the 'update/diagnosis'
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Auggie's abdominal exploratory surgery/UPDATE 10/14/06

Prayers for you and Auggie as you go through this. I know you will spoil her and make sure that her remaining years are the best ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast