Raw bones-risk of parasites ?

Thread: Raw bones-risk of parasites ?

phaereet is offline Member

DefaultRaw bones-risk of parasites ?

I have just finished reading the debate on risks of raw bones. The discussion goes through on bowel obstruction and perforation.. But what about the parasitic contamination of any kinds of worms through raw bones?

As for the debate (I know it is not an issue of polling) I share those ideas offering raw bones for DOGs.

Ferit

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Raw bones-risk of parasites ?

I get frozen raw marrow bones from my butcher. Give them to the dogs right away and throw them out after about an hour of chewing - they are picked clean at that point. Have been doing this for years and never had any type of issue re parasites, etc.

I don't throw the bones away as quickly as threelabs, I'll let Oona have it for a day or two. The problem we have is the marrow bones are so rich if I let her have one all at once she will have loose stools the next day. I'll take it away after a half hour and let her have it again the next day.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have never heard of any dog getting worms through eating raw bones.

If you get your bones from a butcher, they are pretty rigorous with hygiene and how/where the meat is stored.

I would think if we humans have risk of parasitic infection from consuming raw, or undercooked meat, the dogs would also carry a similar risk, probably lower risk, but still a risk.

It's not so much the butcher's handling/sanitary conditions, it's where the meat is coming from....

Riley has numerous medical problems, hyperthyroidism, valley fever, and severe allergies, so I won't risk any kind of other infections with her problems....If there were worms or e-coli in the meat, she'd probably get'em....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I would think if we humans have risk of parasitic infection from consuming raw, or undercooked meat, the dogs would also carry a similar risk, probably lower risk,* but still a risk.
    The risk for a dog is MUCH lower. They are designed to eat raw meat. Dogs don't have those teeth for munching on dry kibble. Many people feed full raw for the duration of a dogs life with NO troubles. All it takes is some common sense both in preparation and where you purchase your meat sources. I, for example, don't use supermarket/store brand meat for my dogs. I use my butchers and/or local farm shop where the meat is all locally produced (obviously the farm meat is born and reared on site). YES there is a risk but it is a risk I am willing to take because the benefits far outnumber the risks. The enjoyment my dogs get from eating raw alone is enough to seal the deal for me and I am also a kibble feeder!

It's not so much the butcher's handling/sanitary conditions, it's where the meat is coming from....
    A good butcher will let you know where the meat is from if you ask.*

I'd shy away from pork bones, but beef bones are safe. If you have an unhealthy dog, then I may think twice about it, but for a normal healthy dog you shouldn't have any problems.

Like Trickster said, there is a slight risk, but there's a risk with anything you feed. Kibble can lead to bloat, rawhide can pose a choking hazard, cooked bones pose a splintering hazard. Luckily, most of the risks are slight.

Trikster hit the nail on the head!!!! No supermarket beef, if you're buying from farm/farm store...great!! Some people don't have that option...I like to know where my beef is coming from..for me and my dogs!!! Obviously like Nick said, with my dog I will cook everything she eats!!!!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you are getting the bones from a USDA butcher that is cutting meat for humans, I wouldn't worry. Not even about pork. Pork isn't as unsafe as it used to be.

I have no worries about giving raw bones to my dogs.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I don't have a problem with raw feeding at all, though I definitely worry about raw pork, especially after seeing a friends dog go through an MRI and extensive treatments for toxoplasma after eating raw pork from the neighbor's pig farm. I make sure my dogs get meaty beef bones instead of pork bones because of things like toxoplasmosis and echinococcus. Other types of "worms" and parasites shouldn't be a big problem.

If stored and prepared properly, you shouldn't have to worry as much about bacteria like salmonella (more with poultry) or e. coli, etc., either. Dogs are much less prone to actually developing diseases from those things than humans, anyhow. They can eat it and shed it, or become a carrier, but as long as you are being sanitary about cleaning up poop and whatnot, especially around kids or elderly people, you shouldn't have to worry about it any more than other types of poop!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon