Kidney failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney failure

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultKidney failure

My 11 year old boy has recently been diagnosed with the early stages of kidney failure. The vet told me to change his diet & only feed chicken or fish. Red meat has been taken completely off the menu. Ever since, I have been feeding him only canned chicken meat & Iams chicken biscuits.

He is also on 1/2 tablet Vasotop 5 daily to help with the blood flow through his kidneys. I asked the vet if there is any way we can monitor the problem through blood or urine tests but he said no, it's all clinical & I'll soon know if somethings going wrong because he'll go off his food or start acting sick by which time I fear it will be too late.

My questions are:

Is ANY amount of red meat safe to feed ?.

Are there any side effects connected with this drug ?.

Also does anyone know of any type of test that can keep track of what's going on in his body ?. I'm in Australia, so I believe we don't have anything available here.

Thanks for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kidney failure

I'm sorry. He's a beautiful boy. I don't have any experience on this, but hopefully somebody here can give your some answears. Good thoughts to your boy.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

I asked the vet if there is any way we can monitor the problem through blood or urine tests but he said no, it's all clinical & I'll soon know if somethings going wrong because he'll go off his food or start acting sick by which time I fear it will be too late.
    Unless the vet is trying to save you money of course he can be monitored through blood tests and he can be put on a special veterinary diet for early kidney disease. I would find a new vet. He may have several more good years.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I'm also in Australia and although we don't have the same range of food that they have in America you can still get special kidney diets (Hills or Eukanuba). I can't see any reason that you can't have regular blood and urine tests either ???

Won't someone please feed me!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to say that your boy is in my thoughts and prayers.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I'm sorry. I'm going through this with my elderly cat. You may be able to give him sub-q fluids at home as it progresses, it may make him feel better.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

my last pup( she was 10 1/2) was dx. with kidney failure , there are defiantly test you can do to see how they are doing. It would be interesting to see your vet's reasoning for not wanting to run the test, they are not expensive, and they tell you allot about how your pet is doing- switching food, is a good start, we also did sub q fluid. Hopefully your vet would help you with sitting that up so you can do it at home. Good luck to you and your pup!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Well, what your vet has said is ridiculous - you most certainly can monitor his kidney function with tests, and you should. Waiting until your dog shows symptoms such as lethargy or lack of appetite is asking for trouble. Why not monitor him so that he doesn't have to get so far gone before you know there is an issue? I don't know about foods available in Australia but in the US you can get veterinary diets specifically for dogs with kidney failure. I would be getting a second opinion from another vet, if I were you.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Forgot to mention that there are many web sites dealing with canine kidney failure, I found some of them to be very helpful! You are in our thought's--

This May I had to put my 16 1/2 year old schnauzer/dauchsund mix down due to eye rupture. However, we had been managing his chronic renal failure for three years! There is LOTS that can be done with kidney failure if you catch it in the early stages. In addition to high blood pressure medicine, he should be on Calcitriol, a phosphorous binder, Omega 3 capsules, CoQ10, and have lab tests run about every 4-6 months in the early stages. The most important lab counts are the creatinine and BUN. THe creatinine is the real way to tell if the kidney disease is getting worse. An elevated BUN will mean he feels terrible and won't eat. The remedy for a high BUN is fluids, whether through IV or subcutaneously. A good forum is on Yahoo groups called K9Kidneys. That is where I got all this information, and then I educated my vet. He now prescribes all this for his animals who show the early signs of kidney disease. Good luck and certainly don't give up yet! There is LOTS and LOTS of hope for this disease now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast