Persistent Bladder Infection (Update)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Persistent Bladder Infection (Update)

DefaultPersistent Bladder Infection (Update)

Got the second opinion, it is posted at the bottom.

It is now two months + that Oakley has had the bladder infection.* The vet keeps saying "keep going with the antibiotics"* I am getting a second opinion tomorrow.* Will let you know what I find out.

Hi everyone,
    I am so frustrated.* Oakley is just about 6 months and is experiencing her second bladder infection.* She has been on treatment for over a month.* I had her urine tested again yesterday and the vet said she still had the infection (which I knew)* and to continue with the meds (clavamox 125 mg 2X/day).* Oakley did test for crystals twice, the last time she had the infection and again this time.* Yesterdays test was free of crystals.*
    Why can't we get rid of this infection?* If it isn't going away shouldn't we be increasing the dose a bit or going to a different med?*
    Anyone have any advice?

Lana

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Persistent Bladder Infection

Does your dog have an INNIE? I believe you said she has already been spayed. You could try being diligent about wiping her every time she urinates to see if that helps.

Is she on glucosamine?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I she also having a problem keeping the proper pH? Is she taking any acidopholus?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Your vet may need to do a urine culture to see exactly what the infection is and what antibiotic will cure it.

You may also want to try her on cranberry tablets to prevent future infections, once you get this one cleared up.

Oona had three UTI's before she was a year old. Everytime we changed the brand of food she was eating. One thing I did is start giving her a tablespoon of plain yogurt in her food once a day. She didn't have another UTI for four years, this spring, when I stopped giving her any dairy because of the possibility of an allergy.
    Olie

Thanks for all of the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Does your dog have an INNIE? I believe you said she has already been spayed. You could try being diligent about wiping her every time she urinates to see if that helps.
    * *She doesn't have an innie.* She was spayed two weeks ago.* They did the surgery a bit early to do an exploratory on her bladder to see if they could find anything, they didn't.* They said to just keep going with the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    I she also having a problem keeping the proper pH? Is she taking any acidopholus?
    I haven't heard them say anything about her pH.* What would be an acidopholus?* *I try to make sure she only eats her food
    (Hill's p/d), her treats (medi-cal) and carrots.* She gets a tiny piece of cheese to take her pill.

The vet mentioned about sending her sample to PEI to the veterinary school to have it tested.* Maybe that would be the culture?* When we have it tested now it is the sediment test.*

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    Oona had three UTI's before she was a year old. Everytime we changed the brand of food she was eating. One thing I did is start giving her a tablespoon of plain yogurt in her food once a day.
    She is on Hill's p/d for food on the vet's recommendation.* First she was on Techni-cal.* That was what she was being fed at rescue so that is what I continued.* Do you give the yogurt while she has the infection or wait until it has cleared up?*

Thanks for the advice.
    Lana

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Acidopholus is in yougurt but sometimes a more potent "variety" is need, like one you get at a health food store, these usually are in capsules or sometimes they are powdered. You can try the yogurt first just make sure the container says active live cultures, Stoneyfield is a good one and it is organic also.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

If you're not giving glucosamine, that may be helpful. It does line the bladder, and repeated infections degrade that lining and can make future infections more likely.

Unlike when it's used for joints, you don't have to be concerned with the glucosamine/chondroitin mixture, just a plain glucosamine supplement may help.

*edit: I should clarify that pure glucosamine doesn't line the bladder, but a glycoprotein of which glucosamine is a precursor does line the bladder. The glucosamine may help repair it. Sorry, I was a bit unclear in the original post.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    If you're not giving glucosamine, that may be helpful.* It does line the bladder, and repeated infections degrade that lining and can make future infections more likely.

Unlike when it's used for joints, you don't have to be concerned with the glucosamine/chondroitin mixture, just a plain glucosamine supplement may help.

*edit:* I should clarify that pure glucosamine doesn't line the bladder, but a glycoprotein of which glucosamine is a precursor does line the bladder.* The glucosamine may help repair it.* Sorry, I was a bit unclear in the original post.
    Nick -- I thought it was both glucosamine and chondroitin that were similiar in structure to the bladder's lining. That being the case (as I understand it) I think you should use a product w/ both. Correct me if I'm wrong ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast