need food advice again!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need food advice again!

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultneed food advice again!

Here we go again. My choco lab the one with the history of the MCT's has a sucpious spot on her vulva. THe vet will recheck in a week and if larger will biospy.

The reason for the food advice is that she is always licking down there especially when I open up a new bag of food. Also, after she eats, she rubs her face around the carpet and the vet says that she is probably allergic to her food. Maybe this is a link to her getting all these spots/tumours.

She has suggested that I try one of the following foods to see if it makes a difference to her skin.

Nutro chicken and oat
    Nutro lamb and rice
    Wellness Venison
    Hills z/d
    or a fish based food.

I have tried her on a fish based food before and she itched still and had skin issues. DOes this mean the fish is out for other brands?

Also, she is already eating chicken so would the nutro chicken be out too?

I am lost at what to do. This dog has been through so much. I have even tried the cooked meal for her without success.

Please, if you have any ideas for me I would love to hear them.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: need food advice again!

Can I ask what food she is currently on? do you know what she is allergic to?

She is eating Eukaunba Maintenance. I have tried so many foods but nothing helps.
    The allergist won't test her for foods as she is so allergic that he is worried of risks with the tests.

So, it is up to me to figure it out.

Any ideas.

We have tried Euk Lamb, Natrural Balance duck, Royal canine fish food ww 21, Pro plan, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I would try one of Eagle's foods. Contact them and they will be happy to help you pick a food. www.eaglepack.com
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

I will look into that too. When I check them out though which flavour should i try? Chicken again, lamb or fish?? That is the second problem.

I have fed Nutro had problems with it galore, ear yeast infections etc. I also fed Eagle Pack liked it but it made her very soft coated and she wasn't nuts about it. Now she is a self regulator so she would leave it until she was really hungry. Now I am feed Nature's Variety Raw Instinct and couldn't be happier. I get it at the local feed and seed (stock shop).

Most nights she eats all of her food and she never did that before. She gets either a raw bone with a fair amount of meat or a raw frozen patty from Natures Variteyt Raw Instinct in the morning. She doesn't scratch at all on it and her paws are dark again instead of reddish and the vet told me that was a grass allergy but I guess he was wrong. My BR fox hound was the reason we switched to Raw Instinct as she scratched all the time and her ears were gunky and had to be cleaned every other week or so.
    It is $40 for a 30lbs bag I think but it is very dense so Cinnamon only eats a cup a day or a cup and a half at most per day. The bag says between 2 and 3 cups for her size and activity level.

Feeding the raw patty isn't necessary but I found Cinnamon was just skipping her morning meal so after 3 months she just to skinny for my liking so I tried the raw frozen patties or a bone with meat and she likes that about 10am. I was feeding the raw patty and bones in the morning for months before I switched her to their kibble.

Where do you get the frozen raw treats? PetSmart? or more of a specialty store? Thanks

And to the original author, if the dog showed allergy symptoms to fish, I think I would steer clear of it, in the new food, since you know for SURE that there is a problem with that particular ingredient. Good luck, it must be so exasperating. and i hope that if the biopsy is done, it is negative.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You might find she does better on a higher quality food. This website is good for looking at individual brands and ingredients;

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

I recommend something hypo allergic with one meat protein source. You also want something with no low quality grains (no wheat, soy, corn, etc.).

I buy Cinnamon's raw patties at the Stock Shop it is a feed and seed store. Where you buy food for horses, cows etc. That is where I have bought all of Cinnamon's food from. I find they are cheaper than Petsmart or a pet store and they carry some of the higher quality food.

They also store the large bags in the back so you just pay for them and by the time you get out to your car the wherehouse man and standing there with it to load it so I don't have to lug it around.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab13
    I will look into that too.* When I check them out though which flavour should i try?* Chicken again, lamb or fish??* That is the second problem.
    I have mine on the Naural formula. It is lamb based but also has chicken and fish.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast