Contact dermatitis..

Thread: Contact dermatitis..

DefaultContact dermatitis..

I took Louie for his second set of shots this past tuesday and mentioned to the vet how dry and scaley like his skin was on his belly area. She believed it was some kind of contact dermatitis and told me to use a certain shampoo and rinse (purchased at the vet's office) twice a week on him and if that didn't start to work on improving it by his next appt (end of this month) then he'd probably need antibiotics.

She also said perhaps he is allergic to the grass, because she believes something he lays on is causing the contact dermatitis. So, allergy testing will be the next step if the shampoo and antibiotics dont clear it up. She also said Febreeze can irritate dogs here in Hawaii (don't know how much truth there is to that, or any facts that is based on) but I don't use that anyways.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be and how to treat it? Or do you think just going along with the twice weekly baths will do the trick? He doesn't seem to be in pain or anything, but he does scratch one spot a lot. I have yet to see any fleas on him whatsoever.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions!

Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Contact dermatitis..

Start by giving him a teaspoon of some kind of fish oil a day. Then, when he comes in from playing wipe the areas with a clean damp cloth wipe away any pollens. You might ask about using fish oil and benedryl together. I have heard read from Lya's dermatologist that the two used together can be effective.

I think most vet underestimate how much oil a lab needs to keep their coat properly.

Tell us what happens,

Morgan with Lya

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Are there any carpets, rugs ect that he may be laying on that contain polyester? Polyester is known to irritate dogs. If so maybe get him his own blanket or bed to lay on. I would also give him some sort of fish and/or salmon oil to see if that helps.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Another major problem is wool. Is he sleeping on a wool blanket or wool carpet ?. A lot of dogs can't handle it.

As the vet said, grass is also a big problem but the biggest problem is determining WHICH grass. Some lawns could have up to a dozen different types of grass.

Worst case scenario as far as treatment goes is a course of cortisone. This usually involves an initial injection followed by pills for a week - 10 days.

Been there done that. :-[ :-[ :-[

Thanks for the advice. Is fish oil something I can just buy at a pet store? I don't let him lay in the grass anymore (must to his dismay) so I can see if there is any improvement between now and his next appt. He's scratching less, so we'll see. The only carpet is the carpet in the house. He doesn't sleep with a blanket in his crate (chew chew chew...did I mention he chews?).

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

You can actually buy the fish oils at a health food store. Prolly a little cheaper there.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Eddie, 2 year old black lab mix, got skin allergies last year about 2 months after we had new carpet laid, we had also had central air put in that year and the changeover to heat and changing filters might have had something to do with it.. When we first brought him home at 9 months he got Demodaces (?) mites which are not contagious thank goodness. Anyway, he was tested to see if they had returned and he tested negative for them. Our vet didn't know what it was so suggested Benadryl, 2 a day and bathing 3 times a week.

On our schedule the bathing didn't work out, and would have traumatised the poor puppy so we just wnet with the Benadryl.

A year later, he scratches just like any dog would and only gets a pill occassionally. Normally when he has been playing hard at the park and in and out of the woods. We still don't know what it was but are waiting for this years reaction to something!