Asthma? UPDATE

Thread: Asthma? UPDATE

DefaultAsthma? UPDATE

This morning about 4am Kimba woke me up bc he sounded like he was a person having an asthma attack (only way I can describe it). Kinda low grunting like he was trying to suck in air..at first I thought he was having a seizure but when I got to his crate he was lying in his usual position on his back and his eyes were open. At first I tried to get him up and he would just lay there. After 20 seconds or so he did get up and it seemed to stop, but took a few more deep breaths in that sounded like he was having trouble sucking in the air.
    Any thoughts/suggestions/comments? Of course I am scared and a mess...
    This has been followed by the runs today. Also when I fed Kimba he actually walked away from the food a few times, which he has NEVER done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

everydog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Asthma? UPDATE

The "sucking in" sounds like reverse sneezing:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...eSneezing.html

But accompanied by diarhhea and refusal of food, I'd definitely be calling the vet on this one.

Thank for the info...that sound exactly like what happened. I called vet, they said same thing. Kimba did eat all his food today, he just walked away in between eating which is unlike him. I believe the runs are something else and we are going to stop feeding him for about 24 hours then start up with small amounts of cottage cheese and rice until his tummy gets better.
    That reverse sneezing thing is scary the first time you see it..I thought for sure Kimba was dying or having a seizure :'(
    Man, did I fly out of bed SO FAST!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

I too recognised this as reverse sneezing before I saw everydog's reply. Pugs are notorious for this problem & when you witness it for the 1st time, it is scary. Funny enough my Lab has never had it.

As was pointed out in the above link, the best cure is to put a finger firmly over the dogs nostrils & thus forcing him to breath out of his mouth. This puts an end to the problem within a few seconds.

You will probably have to hold the dog firmly while you are doing it as they will try & pull away as a natural reaction. Keep your finger over the nostrils for a few seconds after it stops because it can reoccur straight away if you let go too soon.

Once you know what the problem is & how to treat it, the rest is easy.