undersized lab

Thread: undersized lab

Defaultundersized lab

I have a 6month lab puppy and he only weighs 35lbs! I got him from a shelter-he's a mix, but i don't know what the other breed is. he LOOKS exactly like a lab-text book looks. he eats and looks healthy - not thin at all. I was wondering what size/wt I can expect him to be? (He does seem to poop a lot - 5-6 times/day at least.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: undersized lab

Hard to say since you don't know what he's mixed with.

Laura

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

How long have you had the pup? Has he been to the vet? If you've had him awhile, does he seem to be growing? I'm guessing that if he's mixed with a small dog, he may not have much more growing to do and if he looks healthy, he just may end up on the small size.

About the pooping... I know that when I've picked up dog food for my springer that isn't top quality, she tends to poop alot more. My 8 month old lab has been fed Eukanuba large breed puppy food since we got him, and he looks really healthy and poops 2-3 times/day. Generally, you get what you pay for, and cheaper dog food has more cereal which = more poop.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Even AKC 100% "pure" Labs have a wide variety of different rates of growth and final adult weights for Labs in "ideal" conditiion.

So predicting for even them is more than iffy.

That said, for the first year I kept accurate measures of the rate of weight gain for my Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01].

At 180 days, Puff's weight was 41 lbs.

At 300 days, her weight was 54 lbs. (or almost one-third more than 41 lbs.).

She's reached a final adult weight of 63 lbs. (about 50% more than her weight at 180 days). * She self-regulates her food intake quite well and doesn't overeat.* Her field line build is somewhat lean, lanky, and leggy; she gets much daily exercise and has very little fat.

So if your boy grows at Puff's rate, he'll be about 53 lbs. when full grown at about 18-24 months.

Nice size.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Pictures??

My boys were pretty small at 6 months. They are now respectively 58lbs and 60lbs at 2 and 3 years --not "huge" Labs by any stretch of the imagination. As Bob said, they all grow at different weights depending on a number of factors. Mine are field type Labs...purposely bred to be smaller and leaner.

Oakley was 34 lbs a week ago and she is just about 6 months.

She came from rescue but we know the circumstances of the parents. The parents were not large. I have had two breeders tell me she won't be a large lab. She is from a field line as well.

One positive way you may look at this is in general the larger the dog the shorter the lifespan. So with that kind of thinking I'm hoping for a very long life for him.
    Olie