How Much Should I Feed Hooch?

Thread: How Much Should I Feed Hooch?

DefaultHow Much Should I Feed Hooch?

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before but I didn't see it.

I've had Hooch a little over 3 months now. He's 10 years old. He was very thin when we got him (about 60 lbs). Now he is 92 lbs and I'd like to keep him at this weight. I feed him 1 cup of Canidae dry and 1 can of Merrick wet twice a day. I think he is still gaining weight though.

How much do you feed an adult lab to maintain the weight they are at. I'm stumped. I had a weight issue with my Sam and don't want Hooch to get over weight especially at his age.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Samsmom1

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How Much Should I Feed Hooch?

It really depends on what you are feeding and how much exercise he gets. I feed my 2 year old male about 3½ cups of food per day. He's very active.

Laura

Caseys Mom Guest

...and don't want Hooch to get over weight especially at his age...
    For sure it's much easier on the seniors' joints if you keep them on the lean side!
    The Canidae is 466.25 kcal per cup and the Merrick is 394 kcal per can so you're feeding 1720 kcal per day. Unless Hooch is very, very active, that seems way high to me.

Here are a couple of calculators to figure out how many kcals dogs need to maintain their weight depending on their activity levels and age:
    http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm
    The second one (Waltham Daily Energy requirements) works out to very close to what I feed Casey and Hershey.

HTH

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Lynn/(C's Mom) --

Both of those calculators give GROSSLY higher estimates of the estimated daily food intake than my Puff needs or gets.* (YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01].

She's a moderately to highly active dog (she gets 70 minutes each morning of off leash retrieving and exploring in a Nature Preserve, maybe 40 retrieves -- some over long distances) during my 2½ mile walk plus about 10 retrieves each afternoon.

Puff weighs 63 lbs. and eats 905 kcals a day.* She's also one of those rare "mutant" Labs that self-regulates her food intake so I'm quite sure she's not being starved.* However, she has very little to no fat on her.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My thoughts are, if he is still gaining weight, drop the canned food and give him a cup of dry instead. I would feed one or the other --all canned or all dry (preferably all dry). Try him on 2 cups of dry a day and see if he maintains a steady weight.

Personally, I also feed according to the age and activity level of the dog. My dogs get 3 cups of dry a day plus scraps. If we are having an active day, I might raise them by a cup. On an inactive day (like all of this week...I have been ill with a cold and the weather sucks!) I will reduce them by half a cup. 95% of the time though they get around 1 1/2 - 2 hours good activity a day and maintain excellent weights on 3 cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseys Mom
    ...and don't want Hooch to get over weight especially at his age...
    For sure it's much easier on the seniors' joints if you keep them on the lean side!
    The Canidae is 466.25 kcal per cup and the Merrick is 394 kcal per can so you're feeding 1720 kcal per day. Unless Hooch is very, very active, that seems way high to me.

Here are a couple of calculators to figure out how many kcals dogs need to maintain their weight depending on their activity levels and age:
    http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm
    The second one (Waltham Daily Energy requirements) works out to very close to what I feed Casey and Hershey.

HTH
    I'm a little confused on this. The can of Merrick I'm looking at (Wingaling) says it has "877 kcal/kg - A 13.2 oz can provides 330 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value." Do I go by the 877 or the 330 kcal?

Also, the calculator says for an inactive dog, I should be giving him 1737 cals per day. Hooch isn't "inactive". I walk him at least 3 - 5 miles per day and he runs around in the yard all day with Shadow. I also throw a ball in the yard with him a few days a week. I would consider him moderately active. For that they recommend 2171 cals per day.

I used the higher number on the can (877 Kcal) and figured that if I give Hooch 2 cups of Canidae dry (937.5) and 1 can of Merrick @ 877 kcals, that comes to 1814.5 cals/day. It is definitely lower than what I'm feeding him now.

Thanks for your advice. And for that calculator. I've never been able to figure this out and I really don't want Hooch to suffer for my ingnorance.

I just hope I can handle the look on his face when he sees that that's all he's gonna get. lol

Caseys Mom Guest

Do I go by the 877 or the 330 kcal?
    Go by the kcals/can.* A kg is about 2.2 pounds - a whole lot more than 13.2 oz.*

Bob - I guess that just goes to show how much variability there is between dogs. Casey's 58 pounds, 6 years old and also from field lines. We walk about 5 miles a day which I put as "typical." She gets 1225 kcals. and Waltham says 1280. I do vary the amount of food she gets based on daily activity level. If I also take her swimming I up the amount of food she gets that day by about 1/2 cup (240kcals) or if it's especially cold and we take a shorter walk I cut her back.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There IS a lot of variability in the amount of energy dogs apparently need.* But I have the UC-Davis "Book of Dogs" and their listing of what dogs typically need is very close to what most dog food mfrs recommend -- grossly inflated.

You're right -- the best thing to do is to go by condition and appearance.

The closest* recommendation I've seen to being close to reality is that given by Diamond. Kirkland, etc., (and their relations) and I've adapted the table below from the one they have on their bags, but substituting the kcals of Metabolizable Energy in their food for the amounts of cups they suggest:

WEIGHT RANGE_________KCALS NEEDED
    LBS* * (KGs)

20-30 (9-13.6)_____________543 -724

30-40 (13.6-18.1).__________724 - 845

40-60 (18.2-27.2).__________845 - 1177

60-80 (27.2-36.2)__________1177 - 1358

80-100 (36.2-45.3)_________1358 - 1629

This is for adult dogs -- NOT growing pups or preganant or lactating females.* After pups are about 8-10 months old, it will be reasonably close for most of them.

For those who wish to check the amount they're feeding against this table, first write down the total number of cups you're feeding each day.

Then multiply that number of cups (say 3¾) times the kcals/cup in the food you're feeding.* You can find this out either from seeing it printed on the label of the food bag OR calling that company's #800 toll free service number.

Let's say the food you're feeding has 420 kcals/cup.

Then 3.75 (cups) times 420 (kcals) = 1575 kcals a day your dog is getting.

You can then compare the 1575 kcals/day with the weight ranges above.

If your Lab is in the 80-100 lb. range that would be appropriate for most.

If your Lab is in the 60-80 lb. range, you may be overfeeding.

++++++++++++++++++++++

edited to correct some wrong Kg. conversions
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748