If you use advantix--

Thread: If you use advantix--

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultIf you use advantix--

for those who use advatix and are in an area where heartworm is a concern, do you also give heartworm medication. I was talking to a friend and she said her vet told her with advantix they should not need any other med's, because it work's for mosquitoes as well as flea's and tick's- any thought's would be greatly appreciated. I currently have sammi on both, as we spend allot of time in the wood's hiking, camping , and a ton of water time. But I really don't want to overuse med's on her. I have also heard some not positive thing's about the heartworm med.s- It can all get so confusing :-\- Thank's again for any input you folk's might have---

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: If you use advantix--

I would never stop using monthly heartworm meds. Advantix does work to repel mosquitos but that doesn't mean that it prevents 100% of mosquito bites. I have also noticed when I used Advantix that it's effectiveness waned at about the three week mark - at which time your dog could certainly get infected with heartworms. Frankly, I'm shocked that a vet would suggest such a thing.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

That was my feeling, just wanted to get others opinion's- - at this point I will continue to use both--

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sort of along the same lines, I noticed that the K9 Advantix does wear off much earlier than 4 weeks.* Lexie was at the 2 1/2 week mark (after her regular dose of Advantix) and we went hiking in Lake Placid.* She came home with a tick and fleas.* We are now having to treat the whole house, car, dog, cat, etc. and that is not to mention the poor puppy-doggie who I now refer to as "Queen Itchy".* *I think we will be switching to Frontline Plus and in your case, I would definately continue with heartworm meds.* If they can get fleas and ticks, they can get bit by mosquitos, too.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Also as another note regarding heartworms: I have a friend that does hunt test work with her dogs and was recently down south training, she said that there have been a number of cases of heartworm positive dogs reported doen there even though these dogs are on heartworm medication year round. Just makes you wonder...
    I agree with what Labsrme said too.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC