Rawhide- Good or Bad??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rawhide- Good or Bad??

DefaultRawhide- Good or Bad??

I've heard that rawhide is bad for your dog. My 6 mo. old has one or two small chew sticks a day. She also has a big one she loves. I heard nyla bones or compressed corn starch bones are better but I can't imagine swallowing either of these is very good either. Should I limit the amount she eats? It seems like a natural choice but am I wrong??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rawhide- Good or Bad??

rawhides and pig ears can cause obstructions....but it's up to you about the level of risk. There is risk in everything. Personally, Rider get's really loose poop when he used to eat rawhides. So we don't feed them. We get the raw marrow bones from the butcher instead.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

We limit time with only the "large" rawhides. not the little chew ones (to much risk of swallowing)
    I usually give Riley about 20 min of rawhide time, because she will bloody her gums up on them, she enjoys marrow bones from the butcher much better, especially roasted on the grill!!
    We generally try to avioid rawhides all together!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Our dogs do fine on rawhides and pig's ears. They have rawhide available all the time, those huge retriever rolls. They aren't gulpers, and don't swallow large pieces, and I think since they've had rawhide since puppyhood, their tummies are fine on it.

You just need to assess how much of a risk it is for YOUR dogs. None of my will chew on anything but....and I know they are safe, plus their are pretty much supervised all the time.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I know some people are dead set against it but personally, my dogs get rawhide from time to time. We have never had any issues. There certainly IS a risk, as others have mentioned, but there is a risk in just about everything. Heck, one of my dogs had to have surgery because he swallowed a plastic toy bird.*

Should you limit the amount she eats? probably, but most things are fine in moderation. Try raw marrow bones as an alternative.

The only rawhides I give Oona are in braids. I will take the part that is wrapped on the top off and let her chew the braid. She can never get enough of it off to cause a problem, and when it comes apart with about an inch left we throw it away.
    Olie

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I think Scarlet will be fine with her chewsticks

I give Emma rawhides, but most pig ears and she have NEVER had any issues. But she doesn't eat them unsupervised either...
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

I don't trust raw hide,pig ears, etc. It's not worth the risk of my dog having to have emergancy surgery due to a obstruction and having to pay a $2,000 vet bill. The only chew treats I give my dog is Raw Marrow Bones and Bully Sticks. Plus, Marrow bones are so much cheaper then Rawhide.. We get 8 raw marrow bones for $4..

mosmama is offline Senior Member

I used to give Mo rawhides quite frequently when he was younger. He'll get one occasionally now, but they scare me. I've had to pull too many out of his throat and NEVER leave any on the floor when I am not home.

About a week ago I gave him one as a 'treat' and we were just hanging at home together on the weekend. He devoured it, but then that evening vomited and had diarrhea terrible the next morning. So, needless to say, he won't be getting any more. I have given him the marrow bones also and he loves them...but, the marrow gives him the runs too
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I give Rowan Bully stix. It lasts her a long time. We have a good butcher shop in town so I will be getting her some of the knuckle bones one of these days.
    I will not give her rawhide.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast