Homer is finally scheduled for his elbows surgery tomorrow. He will have to spend the night at the vet and will have the surgery early morning.
Poor boy, but I think he is at his best right now. He´s responded very well to the current treatment and is not limping.
Hope everything goes perfect
I'm wondering why you are putting him through surgery if he has responded to treatment and isn't limping?
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
The problem with elbow displasya is that it will continue to degenerate and develop arthitis very early. The surgery aims to correct the joints and slow down the degenerative process. I could keep him on the meds for sometime but when he becomes worse, the damage may be severe by then and the surgery is not possible at that point.
The good thing is that since there´s not much inflamations in his joints now he will recover faster from the surgery.
Still, poor boy, but I really want to try to give him a solution rather than wait til it gets worse
Indy had this done when he was over a year old, both elbows, one at a time...He had his done at Michigan State and they were FABBBBBULOUS... He did really well with his recovery and it was well worth the money because he was able to walk about 3 miles after he healed (before that he couldnt make it 1/16 of a city block before laying down... He's now 11 and if he hadnt blown his knee out, he wouldnt have half the problems... and you are correct, it will only get worse, so you might as well get it corrected while he is still ambulatory and can make a quicker recovery.
Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).