Garlic??

Thread: Garlic??

DefaultGarlic??

Someone told me Garlic is good for getting rid of fleas?? How would one use this? a powder on the fur or consuming it? It sounds odd to me

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Garlic??

I have heard this too but I am not sure if there is any truth in it. I think I will stick with FrontLine.*

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I've heard that too, (well I think I read about garlic and ticks ) but then I have read that garlic is poisonous just like onion. But it's ok in small doses? ??? I don't know that and I don't give that to Emma.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garlic is supposed to deter fleas and tick NOT prevent them! I give all my dogs (except pup) a low dose odourless garlic capsule every day (human variety adn not the super strength ones) and we ahve not had a flea or tick this year. I do also dose them with Frontline/Advantix too. Where I live ticks are a mega serious problem (over 500 cases per veterinary surgery per year) and one of my labbies has had prioplasmosis (babesia) once already so I do anything I can to prevent the nasty blighters going near my furbabies.

:-\ For what it's worth..... My Grandfather was a German Shepherd breeder in Illinois,many years prior to Advantix/Frontline..etc... He always fed the dogs garlic and Brewer's Yeast..and I remember he never had any major problems with fleas or ticks...small dose of fresh garlic, but I don't remember with the Brewer's Yeast dosage..
    Now my vet says garlic will not harm our dog, but doesn't believe in any medicinal merit to it..
    So..take it for what it is worth, I don't think it would hurt anything to give a supplement...!

My mother would always freak out when she would discover fleas on the dog or in the house. Someone told her once that having eucalyptus in the house deters fleas. I don't know if there is any truth to it but our lab that we had for almost 15 years never had fleas.

I remember my mom using garlic pills (think it was a gel cap) on our dog. She use to always be infested with ticks. We started using it and it worked. I talked to my vet and they said garlic pills won't hurt. I am not sure if she gave her(my mom's dog)once daily or once weekly. Ask your vet, they should be able to tell you more.

We add garlic to our dogs food; but it is the Brewer's Yeast that I know can work wonders... at least on cats. My mom has a flea covered stray cat that has decided to adopt her; mom's fixed income meant that she had save up the money to take the new cat to the vet for exam..so she went to Walmart and bought a bottle of Brewers Yeast and added it to the cats diet....within a few weeks, the cat had no fleas and had put on weight and looked completely healthy. He's since been to the vet who couldn't believe this Florida Beach Cat had no fleas without the standard flea meds.