Liver Damage - Any Suggestions or Similar Experiences?

Thread: Liver Damage - Any Suggestions or Similar Experiences?

DefaultLiver Damage - Any Suggestions or Similar Experiences?

Hi,

On Thursday evening last week, upon returning home from work, my three year old yellow lab was pretty much listless, had difficulty moving and had vomited. We took him to the vet right away where they found he had a fever and due to his being pretty much out of it, he was admitted to the hospital. After doing a lot of tests and ruling out an abdominal blockage, an ultrasound revealed that he had some significant liver damage. The vet believes he ingested something highly toxic a few hours before we came home from work or is suffering from leptospirosis (he was vaccinated for this). While in the hospital he had an instance of bloody diarreah and has been given shots of vitamin k which seems to have stopped this problem. It's very frustrating because at home he is gated off during the day and there is nothing that he has access to that is toxic. We have had the same dog walker since we brought him home as a puppy and when he saw him on Thursday around noon, he said he appeared disinterested in walking, had a runny stool but did walk without an issue out to our backyard. He did not see any reason for concern. As he is still hospitialized and is getting antibiotics and fluids, we are trying to see what type of outcome we are facing. I guess it all depends on how extensive the liver damage is and how quickly he responds to treatment. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences and could tell me what I should expect long term?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Liver Damage - Any Suggestions or Similar Experiences?

Sorry, can't really be any help but do want to wish your boy the best. I hope he manages to recover well. I think with the liver it can just be a matter of time to see what the outcome will be. A remarkably resilient organ the liver.

Won't someone please feed me!

DefaultRe: Liver Damage - Any Suggestions or Similar Experiences?

Thank you