Help....puppy's poor appetite.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help....puppy's poor appetite.

DefaultHelp....puppy's poor appetite.

Mattie, 11 weeks, has pretty much completely recovered from Parvo/kennel cough mix (long story....won't belabor you). She has completely recovered except for an occasional coughing spell & little of runny nose. She has mega energy playing etc. Needless to say, she didn't eat through the sickness & got terribly thin. She just still doesn't have much of an appetite and I can't get the weight back on her. She wasn't a ravenous eater before she got sick but I need her to act like a Lab & woof this stuff down so her bones will quit showing :-\!

I'm on the 3rd brand of puppy food. I've tried moistened and dry. I've tried adding canned chicken & rice dog food. I bought vitamins yesterday, so don't know yet if that will help to increase her appetite. What's really weird, she's more interested in her dog food if I sit there & feed it to her, one little kibble at a time, as though it were a treat!

Any help here would be appreciated.....before people start to think we're abusing her !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help....puppy's poor appetite.

I would pick one brand and stick with it. I would not feed canned food. Give her kibble, moisten it and put it down for her to eat. Give her 15-20 minutes to eat it and then pick it up. Don't give her anything to eat until her next meal. Try this for a few days.

We've never had any food issues with our Labradors, but our German Shepherd, had the same problem. It seemed she was almost too excited to eat, always something more interesting to do than eat! She would eat if you fed it to her, but that is a very bad habit to start!!!
    We would feed at the same time everyday, religiously, if the dog wouldn't eat, I would pick up the food and put up on the counter, she got one more chance at it, if she didn't eat it, she wouldn't get food until the next feeding. She learned in a few days, that when the food was there, you'd better eat it.
    It may sound a little mean, but she quickly learned when the bowl comes out, its time to eat!
    You may want to watch changing food diet so much with the pup too!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

If she's been super sick and hasn't been eating, odds are her stomache has shrunk since it's been pretty empty. You've got good advice so far, and I third, fourth, fifth not changing food so often. That alone can wreak havoc on their insides and lead you to cleaning up nasty diarrehea all over again.

If she eats out of your hand, I know it's a bad habit to get into, but since she is only 11 weeks and recovering from a pretty nasty virus, I would probably give in to that for a bit, until she's got some more weight on her and has an appetite for food. Then I would begin the "you don't eat it now, you can have it later" routine. But since she needs all the energy she can get to continue her battle to get well, I would baby her a bit. I can't imagine she is full strength yet, but well on her way. A little bit of handfeeding won't hurt her a bit. And like I said, you can do the eat it now or eat it later afterwards.

(we had two huskies growing up, when one died, the other wouldn't eat- I had to hand feed her for about 3 weeks, then one day I was tired and we went back to the eat it now or later routine, and she was soon fine again after that)

Glad that your little one beat parvo. It is such a nasty virus and there are so many sad endings, that it is nice to hear a good one. What's your pups name? and you got any pictures? we love pictures!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

This is a pic of Mattie just prior to the Parvo. I haven't loaded the ones taken this past week yet. Thanks for all the advice. Guess I haven't done the feeding on schedule thing because I wanted her to eat, no matter what, & felt if it was constantly there, she would gradually get more than she is eating when I first put it down. I only changed to the third brand food Fri. the other changes were prior to the Parvo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I feel your pain. My vet and breeder both recommended for my puppy's (9wks) lack of appetite was canned food in the same brand of dry that you feed. He's done just fine on the canned food. Stools remain pretty firm. I used the proplan puppy food. We've started mixing in some moisted dry with the cannned. Might give it a try.

Dani is offline Senior Member

We just had two foster pups with Parvo. Gwen's appetite was so so for a few days but has picked up considerably...same thing with Owen. Stick with one food and go with it. A dog will not intentionally starve itself.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

theresak419 is offline Junior Member

LightbulbSame thing here....

Hey. I just got a lab pup too. He's almost 11 weeks. He's just doesn't want to eat. I'm glad I found this thread because there was alot of helpful info posted. Cody (thats his name) is the same way. So what I did was I picked him up, grabbed a handful of kibble and held out my cupped hand to him. He ate it up like it was gold. When I sat down with him by the bowl to continue this method, he started to get restless. Wriggling around he knocked some kibble out of my hand and jumped to the ground to eat it. He ate the rest of his meal off the kitchen floor. I'm really gonna try to do scheduled feedings but don't really know how. So if anyone here knows how. It would be strongly appreciated if you could share.

Shanks.
    Theresa

theresak419 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkpaul View Post
    I feel your pain. My vet and breeder both recommended for my puppy's (9wks) lack of appetite was canned food in the same brand of dry that you feed. He's done just fine on the canned food. Stools remain pretty firm. I used the proplan puppy food. We've started mixing in some moisted dry with the cannned. Might give it a try.
    These dogs in the above picture are beautiful. Next dog I get is a black lab. Just got a yellow lab.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by theresak419 View Post
    Hey. I just got a lab pup too. He's almost 11 weeks. He's just doesn't want to eat. I'm glad I found this thread because there was alot of helpful info posted. Cody (thats his name) is the same way. So what I did was I picked him up, grabbed a handful of kibble and held out my cupped hand to him. He ate it up like it was gold. When I sat down with him by the bowl to continue this method, he started to get restless. Wriggling around he knocked some kibble out of my hand and jumped to the ground to eat it. He ate the rest of his meal off the kitchen floor. I'm really gonna try to do scheduled feedings but don't really know how. So if anyone here knows how. It would be strongly appreciated if you could share.

Shanks.
    Theresa
    Feed at breakfast, feed at noonish, feed at dinner time. Simple.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast