Feeding Schedules,how do you keep track

Thread: Feeding Schedules,how do you keep track

DefaultFeeding Schedules,how do you keep track

Since we have 3 people in my house that takes care of the dog duties,how do you keep track of when they were fed.Since I noticed the dogs were getting to much food,I made a schedule and hung it on the refiidge.Whoever feeds marks the date adn time.Now there is no confusion on when they were fed.works out alot better this way.They are fed on time and the right amount.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Feeding Schedules,how do you keep track

We only have one person who feeds in my house. Me. That avoids any confusion. Sometimes, SU will feed them, but that is usually when we are both puttering around the kitchen and he will take the initiative. But he would never feed them and not make me aware. We both used to feed them until the girls would trick both of us with that , omg, Im starving nobody fed me routine, so that they could get two dinners.

I think your chart is a good idea though. Keeps things safe.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

labby is offline Senior Member

Make a chart and put it on the fridge. Mark the times the pup should be fed and what amount. Then leave room on the chart for a X to be put next to that time and amount. Drill into everyone's head that its important to keep to the chart and to mark it off if they feed the dog.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

We don't really have a schedule...the first person up in the mornings feeds the dogs. Then I usually do it in the afternoons. If I am out, I'll put the food in the bowls ready to serve. No confusion.

Well withthe way I work,I get home at 4-5 am most night I work.Everyone was in bed and I had no idea when the dogs wwere fed,so they would lay the I am so hungry thing with me and they were getting a 4th meal lol
    Not anymore

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The chart is a good idea, or just assigning the task to one person. My husband feeds the dogs. There are only 2 of us in the house, so it's a bit easier, but I leave it to him that way they are used to his schedule.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Another possibility is to pre-measure and bag the food in advance. (This could be helpful if you have some people who feed but forget to mark it down.)

For instance, when Puff goes into the kennel when I'm away, I bag each meal with her 1¼ cups of kibble in a one quart Ziplock freezer bag on which I've printed Mon AM, Mon PM, Tues AM, Tues PM, etc., with a Magic Marker.* Each bag is sealed, of course, after the food's gone in.

You could do this for a week at a time and reuse the same bags quite a few times.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

That is a good idea.I may just do that.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Another possibility is to pre-measure and bag the food in advance.* (This could be helpful if you have some people who feed but forget to mark it down.)

For instance, when Puff goes into the kennel when I'm away, I bag each meal with her 1¼ cups of kibble in a one quart Ziplock freezer bag on which I've printed Mon AM, Mon PM, Tues AM, Tues PM, etc., with a Magic Marker.* Each bag is sealed, of course, after the food's gone in.

You could do this for a week at a time and reuse the same bags quite a few times.
    That is a great idea! I know when I had to board my dogs last yr they were over fed. I wrore down right on the plastic container who gets how much at each meal and included the cup! I got a phone call 2 days later saying my dogs are crapping all over the place and wanted to take them to the vet for treatment. When I asked how much they were being fed at each meal I was told they only feed once a day so they were eating a "bowlful" each meal! Needless to say our trip was cut short and so was my boarding bill. First and last time I ever used that place.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I also leave about 2 days extra just in case I'm delayed in getting back.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748