X-Ray Question - Dangers?

Thread: X-Ray Question - Dangers?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultX-Ray Question - Dangers?

I was always planning to have Sami's hips x-rayed when I have her spayed. But I wonder if there is a risk to this -- exposure to radiation? Any link to cancer in canines?

For the record, Sami would be at least 18 months old when I had this done. I have no reason to suspect that anything is wrong w/ her hips or elbows. She is very active, and never shows any soreness or lameness.

Also, if I decide to have her hips x-rayed, should I also have her elbows done ~ or do those problems usually show up earlier?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: X-Ray Question - Dangers?

There is always a risk, just like when we get xrays, but I think there has to be a lot of exposure. I would go ahead and do hips and elbows when you have her spayed.

Laura

Sure, there is a slight risk anytime you're exposed to radiation, but I think the benefits (early detection) outweighs the risks. I would think they'd have to have numerous x-rays for the risk to become appreciable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I think the biggest risk would be due to the extra time under anaesthesia rather then the actual x-ray.

Won't someone please feed me!

Yes, the anaesthesia would be my worry.* A friend, a breeder (affix Zanys) in the Uk recently lost her young bitch (13 months) under sedation whilst having a routine hip/elbow x-rays.* Thankfully in France dogs are not routinely sedated for X-rays - not even for hip/elbow scoring.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Thanks for the advice ~ guess I'll stick w/ my plan to have x-rays when she's being spayed!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you are going to do it, I would do both hips and elbows. Personally for me, for a pet, I wouldn't spend the money unless I thought something was wrong.

SandieF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    If you are going to do it, I would do both hips and elbows.* Personally for me, for a pet, I wouldn't spend the money unless I thought something was wrong.
    I don't entirely agree with this statement. Early detection is the key. If there is a problem, the dog may not yet be showing symptoms. I would want to know if my pet had early signs of it, even tho he would never be used for breeding. Course, I'm a worrier.