Stumped...Need help

Thread: Stumped...Need help

DefaultStumped...Need help

I posted about a week or ten days ago about my 7 week old puppy. He had both giardia and coccidia. He's been taking Valbazen and Albon for the last ten days. Giardia test was negative and coccidia should be gone in a few more days. He is still very sick. His appetite is very diminished and he's vomiting. He's been in and out of the Vet's for dehydration. They'll keep him a couple of days at a time and put him on a fluid pump and then he'll get to doing better. His first round of shots was on 9-13-06. When we took him to the vet on 9-19-06, they gave him a second dose accidently of the first round of vaccinations. So if the parasites are about gone, could the second dose of the vaccine be making him sick? Is the albon making him feel sick? They've tested him a couple of time for parvo and that's negative. Any idea what's going on with this puppy? Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stumped...Need help

You need a new vet. Nobody in their right mind would vaccinate a sick puppy.

Laura

Gave him a second dose of his first round of shots by ACCIDENT!!! Is anyone there paying attention!!!
    I would get him to a different vet immediatly!!! And let the first vet know how you feel about his errors!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I vote for a new vet as well. Get a copy of your files and seek a second opinion. Hud and Maddy both had ghiardi bad as pups, and Grace had coccidia when we got her, and we never had the vomiting. I know it's a possible symptom, but a couple weeks of the proper treatment should have cured your pup. Plus I agree, NO VACCINATIONS , and by mistake no less, for a sick pup.

everydog is offline Senior Member

I agree - vaccinating a sick puppy, even if it was "doubling up" would be cause to change vets.

I think you need a second opinion here. Your puppy is incredibly low in weight for his age, and that's a real worry, especially considering some of the possible causes, including liver shunts. I sure hope he improves.

When I got sShadow,he was not a well puppy.He came from a puppy mill to start with so that explains some of the problems we were having.
    I gave the normal vet 1 1/2 weeks to help him with the meds,they failed so we went to another vet and he was better in less then a week.
    Seeking advice from another vet sometimes does pay off.

Dani is offline Senior Member

yikes. start shopping for a new vet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003