Vomitting

Thread: Vomitting

DefaultVomitting

Two nights ago our Bailey vomitted in his kennel about 2am. He has never thrown up before. It seemed to be a mixture of food and grass. He had some gagging reflux issues yesterday. I am just wondering if there is something that I can do to help his tummy. Or if there might be something wrong with him.

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vomitting

If this happened two nights ago, how is he today? is he holding down his food?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I never medicated vomiting. I just let them be and make sure fresh water is available, maybe withhold the next meal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have the same question. This morning when we took Ebony out of her crate, she had thrown up a little. Then about 10-15 minutes later she threw up again. She hasn't eaten any of her morning food and when we've taken her outside she is eating grass. I read somewhere that is isn't unusual for them to eat grass, that it is supposed to settle their stomachs. Is this true?

I'm thinking that this will run it's course but we are wondering if there is anything else we should do?

Dogs eat grass for a variety of reasons, and if you pay attention to how they are eating grass it can be a clue as to why. If your dog is chewing just the last two inches of long tall grass its because its sweet tasting but there are probably minerals and vitamans in the grass as well. If they are eating big clumps of grass they are probably doing this to settle there stomach if this type of behavior continued over a couple of days I would take my dog to the vet because the dog might have a parasite. When Oona was 8 weeks old she ate grass like a cow. The vet discovered that she had a parasite which was eliminated with a pill. A friend of mine has an Irish Terrier that was eating grass the same way and she discovered she had a tapeworm. Grass can tickle their throat which triggers the gag reflex. If she hasn't had anymore problems I wouldn't worry about it.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yup -- what Oonas Dad said about grass eating.

It is definitely NOT unusual for a dog to eat grass. It is true that they eat grass when they have an upset stomach. It is also true that they like eating grass purely because it tastes good. I notice that my dogs eat grass religiously in the spring but don't bother nearly as much in the winter. This is because the grass is fresh and sweet in the spring.

She seems fine now, must have been something she ate or drank yesterday. She was able to keep down her food tonight and seems pretty much back to normal.

We're wondering now if it was the water she drank at the dog park. My husband thinks that maybe the park hadn't cleaned the bucket out in a while or something.

Sometimes if an especially younger dog throws up in the early morning, there bellies are empty and what you see is bile. Try giving a few biscuits at night, well after their dinner, before you go to bed and see if this helps.

I had Rocky out in the bush on Saturday for about an hour and a half and he was investigating everything under the sun and chewing on a variety of differant things including grass and branches. No sooner than I had him in his crate in the truck, out comes his whole breakfast (pretty gross!). I think sometimes that if your dog eats things he's not used to, up it comes and he/she carries on like nothing happened. Sort of like what we experience the Sunday morning after a Saturday night party.....minus the hang over. ;D