Ear Infections
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Infections

DefaultEar Infections

Hello! This is a great site!

I have a 5 year old, yellow male lab. He is very prone to ear infections. Any advice on how to lessen these occurrences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear Infections

Well - simple and perhaps already looked into - allergies?

Then - purple ear solution from Labby's site - used as specified - will help keep them healthy!I can never find the link when I need it - someone else will come along and post it for us I hope!

Welcome to JL. Food allergies can cause ear infections and lose of hair on the body. The only time in almost 7 years that Nellie has had ear infections was when the Kirkland Lamb and Rice food had a formula change. Once I switched her to another food she was fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultEar Infections

Thanks for the info! Is there a certain kind of food you would recommend if he does have allergies?

What are you currently feeding? How old is the pup?

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    What are you currently feeding?* How old is the pup?
    We were feeding him Purina Pro Plan, but he was not really liking it. We just started feeding him another form of Purina, I'm not sure exactly what it is called but it supposed to contain oatmeal, yogurt, etc. He loves that.

Check out the link kiddsmom posted. It tells you all the things to look for in food that could cause allergies. Corn, wheat and soy being the top of the list. Some dogs do better on lamb, some better on chicken. Also depends on whether it's yeast or bacterial. Sometimes it can just be environmental (such as fall/spring allergies). Best to have a vet do a swab and find out what you're actually dealing with.

Garth is offline Registered Users

I would get your boy to the vet. I'm interested to see so many posts blaming just diet alone for the problem. My boy also is prone to ear infections but my vet has never mentioned diet.

There are several types of ear infections & their causes & treatments are many & varied. They can range from ear mites through to yeast based infections (my problem) to much worse. Of all the problems I have encountered, ear mites are one of the worst as the drops I was using at the time only killed the mites & not the eggs. As the eggs hatched, the problem repeated itself. It took about a month to cure one of my dogs. This was a few years ago so hopefully someone has developed a different treatment that kills both cycles at once.

My standard policy with ANY problem is get to the vet for a check. How do you measure the cost against peace of mind & the dogs health & well being ?. Answer: You can't.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    I would get your boy to the vet. I'm interested to see so many posts blaming just diet alone for the problem. My boy also is prone to ear infections but my vet has never mentioned diet.
    Because most vets don't understand nutrition and want to throw ear meds at the problem. Many times, especially if there is gunk in one ear, its due to diet.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast