UTI testing: screening vs. cultures

Thread: UTI testing: screening vs. cultures

DefaultUTI testing: screening vs. cultures

When you bring a urine sample to the vet for analysis, do they just use a microscope to screen the sample for infection, or do they do a culture to be certain there is no infection? I thought that they all do a culture, but my vet said they only screened the sample i provided, and to do a culture, they would need to send it to a lab. (laboratory not labrador ) Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: UTI testing: screening vs. cultures

Routinely the usual procedure is to dipstick the urine which has tests that look for white and red blood cells and bacteria. Some places also do a microscopic. The culture is only done if there is an indication of infection unless it is specifically ordered by the practioner. To send the urine out for culture also would be an unnesesarry cost to the owner because the screening tests are pretty accurate for presence of bacteria. You must put the urine in a sterile container though (run through the dishwasher is good enough), not just one washed out.

Thanks for explaining that to me.
    I used a sterile container provided to me by the vet.
    He is having accidents here and there and dribbling urine occasionally. At first the vet thought it was crystals, but his crystals have cleared up and he still has the same problem. They said alhtough it's easy to diagnose in females, it's rare in males and they may have to do x-rays to see if something is wrong physically? Or give him testosterone?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have already posted in the other form to you but ask the vet about ephedrine (it helps) . For us they did a culture.