Brushing and "Coat" question

Thread: Brushing and "Coat" question

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultBrushing and "Coat" question

How often do you brush your dog? The other thing I noticed is that Rowan's coat is loosing that "fluffy' puffy feeling. Is it that she is growing up or is it the food change??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Brushing and "Coat" question

I hate to say it but we only brush the girls whey they LOOK like they are losing hair. other than that they get a good rub down of pets and thats about it..

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

There are HUGE differences in coats and coat thickness and shedding between Labs.

My first Lab, my beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line/competing breeder, 55 lbs., 1967-81) was a world class shedder.* She had a heavy double coat.* The twelfth pass of a brush would result in just as big a clogged mess as the first pass -- or the 20th.*

My present Lab, my beloved Puff (YF, AKC field line/competing breeder, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01) has a far lighter double coat.* Her coat is so light that -- when the early morning light from the sun is horizontal and shines just right -- you can easily see it define her ribs, muscle groups, and veins in her legs, shoulders,* thighs, etc. Yet it's heavy enough that she easily goes out for our usual daily hour walk when the temps are below -10°F /-23°C.

I brushed Bess daily -- as well as vacuumed Bess and the floor.* Puff I brush every 3-4 days and get less than1/10th of the hairs.

As Confucius so wisely observed,

Long haired dogs shed long hairs.

Short haired dogs shed short hairs.

Thickly haired dogs shed mucho hairs.

Thinner haired dogs shed far fewer hairs.

In a breed with so many dogs, there's nothing really true of "a Lab".

It all depends on the breed line and/or the particular roll of the genetic dice.

But -- that said -- the words of Confucius will more usually be true.* I've never
    heard of a thick coated Lab that didn't shed but I'm sure 1 or 2 exist.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    How often do you brush your dog? The other thing I noticed is that Rowan's coat is loosing that "fluffy' puffy feeling. Is it that she is growing up or is it the food change??
    She's prolly losing her puppy coat; depending on how old she is. I'm have to confess, too; I usually only brush my guys when they are blowing coat, which this year was April through September!

DefaultBrushing and "Coat" question

I also am wondering the same thing. My lab's hair feels very course. Is there a special food that I should be giving him or is this just a character trait? He sheds a lot, especially right now. We do brush frequently but I am still sweeping the kitchen floor almost daily. I've also tried the "fur wipes" that supposedly make them shed less and this does not work at all.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

I only brush when Ender is shedding-bad. If hair is coming off in clumps when I pet him... time to brush.

That being said.. yes.... when they lose their "puppy coat" the do seem to go from soft and fluffy to a bit more grown up ... but this has it's benefits... that dual coat is their water/weather proofing and I wouldn't want Ender to be without it
    ~Lindsay

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Sorry, I completely missed that Rowen was transitioning from the silky, soft puppy coat to the adult coat with the outer hairs stiff and the inner ones fine.

"I also am wondering the same thing.* My lab's hair feels very coarse.* Is there a special food that I should be giving him or is this just a character trait?"

It's a character trait.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone!

She will only be 10 weeks tomorrow! My baby is sure growing up fast. I wasn't prepared for things to change this quickly! :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•