She stinks...anal gland help??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She stinks...anal gland help??

DefaultShe stinks...anal gland help??

I just had my dog's anal glands drained on Friday. She stunk so bad, so I brought her in. The tech said she was full but not too awful. Well, it's Monday and she reeks again. I just bathed her yesterday so it's not that she's dirty. Does anyone have any help or ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: She stinks...anal gland help??

Try giving her a couple tablespoons canned plain pumpkin mixed in with her food once a day. You can find it in the baking isle at the supermarket. Make sure you get the plain pumpkin with no spices added. It should firm up her stools so that her annal glands empty when she moves her bowels.

We tried everything pumpkin, green beans, oat bran nothing helped. The only thing that worked is I stopped giving Oona her dog biscuts. All she gets now as a reward is her dry dog food. We went from seeing the vet every three weeks to get her glands expressed to 0 in the last 2 years.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well we are out of treats so I don't think that's it.

I do however have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old....soooo....she gets LOTS of other "treats" LOL. Not sure how much I can even control that LOL. I gave her some oatmeal this morning with her food since I had it in the house, I'll have DH get some pumpkin on his way home to try too.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding her?

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice, it's what her foster family fed her before I had her.

But like I said...she gets lots of choice snacks from the tots...however, it's usually fruit, yogurt, meat, etc. We don't have too much junk in the house. Maybe pretzels and crackers or cereal as far as wheat products go. She does have dry skin too, but I've seen some improvement. Her coat is shiny as can be.

Is a couple teaspoons of pumpkin only good for you dog when they are having stool issues?

Is it ok to feed pumpkin often or semi often for the other healthy nutrients that are in pumpkin?

Yes you can feed your dog pumpkin anytime. A friend of mine is doing it so her Lab pup will lose a little weight. The pumpkin fills his stomach up somewhat without adding alot of calories.
    Olie

I would try a food with higher fiber. Sounds like this food may not be
    right for your dog. Stay away from Corn, wheat, and chicken.
    Pro Plan has a sensitive stomach and my dog Jasmine who has all
    the allergy issues is actually doing pretty good on it. I still have to take
    her to get her glands expressed, but she isn't itching as much.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I have one girl here who has issues with anal glands, I tried the pumpkin and a few other things but didn't have any luck. I just recently switched her over to Eagle's Natural formula and so far so good, so it may be food related. More info on the food: http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/SP_Natural.html
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast