Overwieght Chocolate

Thread: Overwieght Chocolate

DefaultOverwieght Chocolate

I have a six year old male Lab that tips the scales at 110 lbs and I can't seem to get his weight down which his Doctor would like me to do. Any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Overwieght Chocolate

What are you feeding him and how much exercise is he getting?

Also, I forgot to add, how MUCH are you feeding him?

Weight problems are typically caused by two things; too much food and not enough exercise or a medical issue. I would bet good money that the vast majority of overweight dogs are produced as a result of the first two. Generally, if you balance the right amount of food with the right amount of exercise you should be left with a dog that is in good shape.

Of course, as with any overweight dog, the first thing I would do is take him to the vets for a full check up to rule out any medical issues. If he has the all clear and his weight is purely diet/exercise related, you can draw up a fitness plan to follow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree, we need to know about what you are feeding, how much you are feeding and what kind of exercise the dog gets.

If you are feeding a good quality food, you should be able to do 1 cup at each meal, and still allow some treats and see some weight loss. My boy is about 90# and does just fine on 2 c a day. Plus he gets about 45 minutes of walks a day plus playing in the yard and wrestling with our Grace.

I agree with the others and would ask are you or anyone else in the house feeding him table scraps? If you are stop. Table scraps are one of the quickest ways to make your dog fat.
    Olie

OK.....stop the table scraps. One cup twice a day and some exercise. Thanks y'all....

Take him to the Vet if you are worried about weight problems. I have a dogo/boxer mix who was weighing in at 107lbs. Her sister weighs 85 lbs! She has Hypothyroidism. It's a defect of the thyroid, when it doesn't function. It cause the dog to be lethargic and over weight. No matter what diet or excersize you give the dog won't help unless medicated.

So if you're really worried bout weight I'd take him to the Vet, it's better to be safe than sorry. My dog lost 8 lbs in one week after she started the thyroid medication!

Actually, healthy table scraps are good for dogs. Mine get scraps all the time but they are all at a good weight. They finished off half a lasagna tonight. That said, I would NOT feed scraps to a dog that needs to lose weight. You should rightly cut out all scraps and stick strictly to dog food...you will see quicker results this way. Just wanted to point out that scraps are not all bad.*

One cup twice a day and some exercise. Thanks y'all....
    Ruling out any medical issues, it is the only way. You might want to bulk his food up with green beans or another filler to make him feel full. You don't say how much you feed him, but remember to feed according to his TARGET weight and not his actual weight.

What is 'some' excercise? A good vigerous walk for 1/2 hour twice a day is good, swimming is good, off leash playing is great too.