I was wondering if...

Thread: I was wondering if...

DefaultI was wondering if...

Anyone has a dog over the standard weight? I just weighed Raider and he was 83.5 lbs he is 7 months old. How long until they are full-grown?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I was wondering if...

The US standard...

Size, Proportion and Substance
    Size--The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds.

The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age.

I am in the UK so the standard here is slightly different, but my males both fall BELOW the standard. One is 58lbs (2 years old) and the other is 60lbs (3 years old). My female is 70lbs. Both males are 100% field bred. Maisy is techincally a pet bred and doesn't fall into either category.

How long until they are fully grown? depends on the dog, its line (field, show, pet, etc.)* and a few other factors. Mine stopped growing height wise at around 9 - 12 months although to be honest, I don't know for sure.* They filled out until they were 18 months or so.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

It varies a great deal here in the USA because of so many BYBs, PMs, and different lines.

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01) stopped growing in height at about 11-12 months, and slowly accumulated more weight up to about 18 months.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Alot of labs are over the standard weight, and a good many of them are from the finest show lines too.

I would expect your dog to put on another 10 pounds as he matures over the next year and a half.

Thanks for the info. My dog looks to be normal or slightly heavy he still has the shape of a coke bottle when you look from over him. but viewing from the bakc when he walks his stomach swings from side to side , On the other hand he can run fast and play with other dogs just fine.

Yes Oona is 75 lbs but she isn't fat. If I got her down to below 70 you would be able to see all of her ribs. I think the best test is to stand over your dog and look at them from above. You should be able to see a defined waist. When you look at them from profile you should be able to see that back rib. Have your dog sit down and get behind them about 10 feet away and see if you can see a definite waist. If you can't do these things its time to take a little bit off your Lab. Remember 5 lbs on these dogs is like 20 lbs on humans.
    Olie