A little help please...Sorry about the length
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help please...Sorry about the length

DefaultA little help please...Sorry about the length

I just brought a lab puppy home last Saturday, he was 7 weeks old. The breeder recommended Iam's dry food but to moisten it for a week or two. On Tuesday we took him to the vet for a check-up and to get established. He had bad diarrhea with a little blood and started to get really finicky at his food. We started to mix a little soft just to get him to eat. The vet checked him and diagnosed him with both giardia and coccidiosis. We are now giving him the medicine for both. His diarrhea has persisted and today we took him back in. He was real listless. The vet said he was getting dehydrated and they would get him going again. My question/concerns are:

1: Please voice your opinions on puppy food. Is Iam's good? Are there any that would be recommended over Iam's?
    2: Mixing a little soft/can food with dry. Good idea or not?
    3: Any experience with giardia and/or coccidiosis? What can I expect and how long will the treatment last?

My two previous labs had no trouble with anything, totally healthy all their life. I have no experience with sick puppies.

I appreciate any and all input. I am sure glad I found this forum.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A little help please...Sorry about the length

1. Iams isn't excelllent.... I'd go with ProPlan

2. not sure

3. Giardia... been there... done that... nearly 3 months of it before we got it under control. What medication did the vet give for this?

Our problem was that the vet didn't give us enough medication for Ender to really kick the giardia so he kept getting slightly better... then worse again.

Labby is an excellent person to ask.. she is definitely the giardia expert.

Hope your pup gets better soon!
    ~Lindsay

labby is offline Senior Member

I know many many pups which are raised on Iams and they don't have problems. I myself have my litter on ProPlan. For me, it seems to help keep the stools firmer than when I was feeding Eukanuba.

I would not mix any canned with the dry right now. That could cause the pup to have diarreha which is not what you wanted.

Giardia and coccidia can be buggers to get rid of (no pun intended). Coccidia is cleared up by Albon. Giardia can be very resistant to the "normal" treatment of Flagyl. I don't even use Flagyl anymore. I use Panacur for 7 days, go off for 7 days then treat again for 5 days. This treatment comes from my vet who attended a seminar on giardia. The experts are recommending this now for giardia since its proving very difficult to get rid of.

If your vet is giving you pills for the giardia, you need to tell them you want the panacur. Hang in there, it usually clears up, but it can be a long road for you and your puppy.

Oops, wanted to add that sometimes the vets give you attitude about trying something else. After all, they're the ones with the degrees, right? *rolls eyes* Having said that, the good vets are open to suggestions and sometimes we out here in the public know more than the vets. My vet calls me to find out what's going on in the dog world.

YOU are in charge of your dog's health. YOU have the right to say try something else. If the vet gives you attitude, find a new vet.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Panacur is also available without a prescription if you find your vet is hardheaded (as mine was).
    ~Lindsay

I checked and I guess it might help to let you know Albon for coccidiosis, 1 cc a.m. and Valbazen for giardia, liquid in syrenges preloaded by vet b.i.d. Thanks for all your input.

I'm not sure 1 cc is enough for coccidia. I gave 1.25 cc to my puppies at 8 pounds.

I know the dosage for Valbazen is 1 cc per 5# once a day for 3-5 days.

Just found the dosage online for 5% Albon suspension:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
    Initial Dose: 25 mg/lb (55 mg/kg) of animal body weight.
    Subsequent Daily Doses: 12.5 mg/lb (27.5 mg/kg) of animal body weight.
    Dogs and cats should receive 1 teaspoonful of Albon Oral Suspension 5% per 10 lb of body weight (25
    mg/lb or 55 mg/kg) as an initial dose, followed by 1/2 teaspoonful per 10 lb of body weight (12.5 mg/lb or
    27.5 mg/kg) every 24 hours thereafter. Representative weights and doses are indicated in the following
    table:
    Initial Subsequent
    Dose Daily Doses
    Animal Weight
    5 lb (2.2 kg) 1/2 tsp (2 1/2 mL) 1/4 tsp (1 1/4 mL)
    10 lb (4.5 kg) 1 tsp (5 mL) 1/2 tsp (2 1/2 mL)
    20 lb (9.1 kg) 2 tsp (10 mL) 1 tsp (5 mL)
    40 lb (18.2 kg) 4 tsp (20 mL) 2 tsp (10 mL)
    80 lb (36.4 kg) 8 tsp (40 mL) 4 tsp (20 mL)

Laura

Thanks a bunch. My puppy is about 4 lbs. He is of british pedigree - his father weighs about 60 lbs and his mother couldn't have been much over 50-55, so they are quite a bit smaller. But his weight is also down from the parasites. I will check when I get home and make sure that he is getting enough meds. Thanks again, you've been a great help and comfort.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Wow, 4 pounds seems light...be careful with him. Even my little Maddy who is a field lab and full grown at 70# was about 7# at 7 weeks and she was the runt of the litter.

everydog is offline Senior Member

4 pounds is TINY for a 7-8 week old Lab puppy. That sure doesn't give him much of a cushion while he fights off these parasites :-[

I hope all goes well.

4 POUNDS?????? My 4 week old puppies are 8 pounds. Generally, a puppy should weigh twice its age. So a 7 week old puppy should be approx. 14 pounds.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast