Hip Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Question

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultHip Question

I had the vet do some hip xrays on Buck for my peace of mind. He is 9 months old now. It was done when he was about 7 months. He said that there were no signs of HD and that one of his hips was perfect but the other one could not be as easily manipulated and a little weak. He said there was no need to do anything actively about it other than not letting him get overweight. Which he would recommend even if both hips were "perfect".

Well at the time as soon as he said one hip is "a bit weak" I just went into...oh no oh no my pup's hips are not "perfect" *panick* *panick* and didn't ask much about it.

anyone have a vet say this to them about their pup's hip and what does it mean??

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hip Question

it sounds like he attempted to do pennhip eval, but unles he is certified pennhip vet, it probably does not mean much and was not doen correctly.

from what I have read, you can do a pennhip eval along with xrays at 16 weeks of age, but it gets more accurate as you approach the 2 year mark. OFA, I don't will even evalaute a dog until it is at least 2 years old.

A dog can start showing signs of HD as early as 6 months. When they show it that early, it usually means its pretty bad HD.

Taking out what he said about it being "loose", from a x-ray standpoint, how did they look? Remember, when you send in the film for OFA cert, they are not testing the dog for looseness. They are just looking at film. Pennhip is different and that is why doctors need to get certified.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerst001
    * OFA, I don't will even evalaute a dog until it is at least 2 years old.
    OFA will do prelims and you can submit the films for their opinion.* The cost is reasonable.* I am not sure if there is a minimum age for prelims.

I do agree w/ gerst though that if I wanted a true opinion, I'd probably ask an ortho vet to view the x-rays or submit to OFA.* To do pennhip you must use a Pennhip certified vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah for OFA I thought you had to wait till 2 years to get a good answer.

I just wanted to get it done once at 6 months or 7 months because I had heard that if they do have a bad case it does show up that early. I had/have no reason to suspect that he would but I always get paranoid and freak out about stuff and like to know things ahead of time if I can do so. I like to be a little prepared...

From what I have seen through my research of what an xray of a dog with HD would look like Buck's hips look well formed. I just didn't understand what he meant by the one hip not being easily manipulated or weak or whatever. This comment he made from actually manipulating his hip not just from looking at xrays

Hmmm I dunno if he is a pennhip certified vet or not. I should find out .
    Otherwise I guess I will just find one and get him checked out next year.

Thanks for the info guys

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would put the pup on G/C/MSM supplements and keep their weight down and stop worrying about it. How come you are so worried about your dogs hips? I have 2 dogs that I show and didn't do Hud's OFA until 2, never thought about his hips really. Nothing made me. Grace will get her OFA in May. Didn't sound like you had a reason to suspect anything.

I am kind of leary about looking for trouble when there is none. A vet will surely tell you something if you ask them enough times, as will doctors. My Father in law is a hypochondriac and will go to as many doctors until one of them tells him he has what he thinks he has....

Oh I freaked out because a couple people mentioned that their dogs had HD and they were detected before age 1...

Also, someone commented on his "lazy lab sit" and it just got me all worried. Before that I was not concerned...thought all labs did the lazy lab sit. Well...he still does the lazy lab sit and can do a "proper sit" as well when asked...so alls well...

This was also during the period of time that I freaked out about every little thing I thought was off or every little thing people commented on him about. He is the first dog I have ever owned...so I am learning slowly hehe

I have a new lab puppy that has a hip guarantee for 2 years, meaning before his 2nd b-day I have to get his hips x-rayed and if there is anything but a "good" rating, there will be somethings that need to be worked out. Other than that I wouldn't worr about it, supplement w/ G/C and keep their weight down. I'm going to do that even if Duke's hips rate an "excellent".

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Please do not supplement young dogs with MSM or Glucosamine...recent research has shown that they will increase the risk of joint disease. Wait until they are done growing at a year and a half, and then start them on it.
    I have seen countless vets and breeders try to diagnose HD by palpation and they were all off-base. If there was obvious muscle wasting, I would be concerned, but otherwise just relax
    My oldest girl is 9 and was diagnosed at an early age with bilateral moderate HD and FCP (elbow dysplasia). She walked 2 hours with the whole pack yesterday and is just fine today and ready to go out again. She also did agility and completed her CDX and a couple of UD legs (I retired her because of her attitude, not her hips :-)
    Whether they have HD or not, give them moderate exercise and keep them fit and thin, and stop worrying. If it were severe enought to affect his quality of life, you would have known by now
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

hey fallriver...I feed him Nutro Large Breed puppy food. I believe it says it has Glucosamine in it...is that bad???

I don't supplement him with anything.

Please do not supplement young dogs with MSM or Glucosamine...recent research has shown that they will increase the risk of joint disease.
    I would like to see those references.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast