what age

Thread: what age

Defaultwhat age

My Yellow lab Napoleon is 11 months old be 1 year old oct 31.I was wondering at what age to change him from his puppy food. He weighs 110 lbs now ...the vet said he was not overweight though as he is pretty big .Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: what age

You could do it at any time that's convenient now. If you're feeding a Large Breed Puppy food, most studies recommend feeding that for the first year of life. But it's of progressively greater value in the earlier months of the pup's development and of course of diminishing importance the closer the pup comes to adult size.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

110lbs? Um are you sure he's not over weight? I'd switch him to diet adult food right now and cut back on treats.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Before we "judge" the weight of this dog... maybe we could ask to see some pictures first.

Linda... pictures are wayyyy better than numbers when determining if a dog is overweight or not.
    ~Lindsay

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

LOL...I put Grace on adult food at 4 months.* We let our first dog go to a year before switching, but I won't do that again.

110# does sound like alot, but if the dog is tall it's possible he's not overweight.* I just think about my male who is very big and around 90# and he's about 24-25" at the withers...so anything over 90# sounds like too much to me.* But with a dog that big, you DEFINATELY need to err on the side of cautious and make sure the dog is lean to avoid joint issues.

This is my boy...

Hello.

I switched my Dakota to adult food when she was 13 months old.. She was doing wonderful on her puppy food, so I decided to wait until she turned a year old before we switched. Wow, your pup is 110 lbs.. I bet he's a big boy.. My Dakota is 14 months old and 62 lbs..