slow growth puppy food???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow growth puppy food???

Defaultslow growth puppy food???

Hello all. Gannon had a vet visit yesterday he is 10 weeks old today. He weighed in at* 17lbs 11 oz yesterday!! OK I am a bit worried. He is not overweight he is just HUGE. I was looking at the baby pictures thread and didn't see any pups that were that big at his age, even their 6 and 8 week shots were alot smaller than he was.

17# [email protected] 10 weeks
    13 [email protected] 8 weeks
    10 [email protected] 6 weeks

I am feeding him an all natural pet food, Natural Life Lamaderm, 3/4 c. 3x a day and I am wondering if I should switch him to something else that will slow him up a bit. The vet said they reccommenend that I put him on Science Diet but that is the brand they push and I don't want to just jump on that recommendation.* *

Has anybody else had a huge pup? Any idea of what works or to keep doing what I am doing?
    If his papers didn't say he was born on July 12th I would swear he was at least 12 weeks old right now.

Gannon today at 9 1/2-10 weeks

Gannon at 7 weeks on the day

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: slow growth puppy food???

Ender was 18 lbs at 8 weeks old.

I wouldn't do Science Diet.

If your current food is working why change it? He looks good from the pictures.

Discuss your concerns with your breeder if you can, they know their pups best.
    ~Lindsay

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

No to Science Diet.

I agree, check with your breeder.* If that's not an option, I think if you stay protein-wise between 26 and 28% and I think something like <1.5% calcium?* Which your food is...so I wouldn't worry.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I wouldn't worry ~ I just pulled out my records. Sami was 12 lbs. when I brought her home at 8 weeks. At 10 weeks she was 17.9 lbs. She now 15 months old and 55 lbs.

WOW Lindsey! 18 lbs at 8 weeks! I cant even imagine.

I really wasn't worried about him until yesterday when they mentioned that he might be growing too fast, and sent me home with a 5# bag of science diet for large breed puppies.....

I figured just what you guys said, the food I am feeding him is good and he is not overweight. Maybe that is it, alot of the puppies in the posts may have been as big as him but they are a bit chubbier and it makes them look more baby like when they are chubby... Sometimes I wish he was a bit chubbier because they are just so CUTE with those little round bellies!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender's litter only had 5 pups.... so they grew fast!

Ender at 10 weeks...

From what I gather... most vets don't know anything about Nutrition... especially breed specific issues.

They were probably just trying to push their food.. some vets will say anything to get you to buy SD. :
    ~Lindsay

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If he follows anywhere close to my Puff's growth rate he'll be huge (Puff:* YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., DOB: 8-'01).* At age 9 weeks she weighed 6 lbs.

At 120 days, 23 lbs.

At 210 days, 46 lbs.

We have a friend with a YM which was born the same day as Puff but in a different BYB litter.* He has a field line build and has always weighed almost exactly twice Puff's weight at the same age.* He's currently about 126-130 lbs.

But the rates of Lab pup growth and development varies a great deal depending on the parents and heritage.* There definitely is not just one rate typical of the breed.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

I read somewhere that it was bad for Large breed dogs to grow to fast.One problem with it is it oculd cause HD sooner rather then later.I read that it was better to put puppies who do grow fast be put directly on adult dog food to slow it down some.I just can't remember where I read this at.I will look around and see if I can find it in the next few days.I remember seeing this more then one time as well.It was right after I got Shadow so I was looking for different things about labs at the time.
    Shawn

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Shawn, what you said was correct, but the food that the poster is feeding is high quality and not overly high in any of the areas that might cause fast growth. It was most likely the vet wanting to push their food.

Although if what the vet recommended was Hill's Science Diet Large Breed Puppy, look at the first 3 ingredients: Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal...doesn't sound too nutritious to me.

I also would not recommend Science Diet. Our vet told us it was a good food, but it really isn't. It is full of by-products and corn meal which Baxter was allergic to.
    As for Gannon's weight, I think is is doing just fine. Baxter was 17.6lb at 10weeks and now at 5 months 51lbs. People always say he is a big puppy, but I can still see and feel ribs and he has a waist line as well. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast